Any HELP appreciated 1999 5.4 E-350 sparkplug removal and installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning!!

I am a little over halfway finished. Working on the 5th plug now. Anyone have any amazing/effective tips for me please? This is a 15 passenger with rear a/c. Lots of hoses in the way! I really want to watch the Superbowl in peace... Won't happen till I am finished with this project. I pull a 16' trailer for my firewood with this van almost daily. Thanks in advance!:rock::rock::rock::rock:

When you go to put the rear plugs back in, I would use a 6" extension taped to a swivel knuckle taped to a 6" extension taped to a deepwell socket, then tape the plug into the socket and perforate the tape around the edge except for 2 or 3 small spots, that way you can pull the socket loose after. I kept dropping the plug down into the head and having to fish them out until I started to use the tape. Thread as far in as you can before using a ratchet. The threads are super weak as it is so don't cross them at all. If the motor starts spitting out plugs later, the Ford dealership will put time-cert helicoils in for about $300 per cylinder. I never had any luck with the retread adaptor. Good luck

When you go to put the rear plugs back in, I would use a 6" extension taped to a swivel knuckle taped to a 6" extension taped to a deepwell socket, then tape the plug into the socket and perforate the tape around the edge except for 2 or 3 small spots, that way you can pull the socket loose after. I kept dropping the plug down into the head and having to fish them out until I started to use the tape. Thread as far in as you can before using a ratchet. The threads are super weak as it is so don't cross them at all. If the motor starts spitting out plugs later, the Ford dealership will put time-cert helicoils in for about $300 per cylinder. I never had any luck with the retread adaptor. Good luck
Thank you sir I got 7 out of 8 changed today. I hated every second of it.

2 motors in a 99 f250SD. 1st spit 2 plugs passenger rear 2 a couple of times, tried the aftermarket repair - no luck. Rear main let go and with good gauge pressure still spun bearings. 2nd motor spit pass. rear, had already started letting the dealer work on it by then, did the math on time and was "cheaper" to have it done. Anyway good luck again

Latest posts

Back