Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue924.9

flannel wearin sumbitch
Reaction score
anyone here ever build a trailer? the local northern tool sells blueprints for all kinds of trailers bumper pull and gooseneck, supposed to be very detailed and include optional material lists depending on how heavy you want to build the frame ect. im thinking about building myself an enclosed trailer instead of buying one as all the enclosed trailers i see are made too flimsy for my likings, i want to haul my tools back and forth to college with this trailer and then haul wood with it when im out of college. with an 8x16 trailer with just 5200 pound axles costing around 6 thousand dollars and only having a 3/16 angle iron frame (read flexy) im thinking i could build my own with a 4 inch c channel frame and 5200 or even 7000 pound axles for about half the cost, it just might not look as pretty.

if trailers had any sort of resale value at all i would just buy a single axle ramp door enclosed trailer with a 3500 pound axle for my college needs and then sell it for a bigger double axle trailer later, but a used trailer just isnt worth much for trade in, and around here they jack the prices up on used trailers compared to new that it doesnt make sense to buy a used one. both my 5x10 and 16 foot flatbed trailers are homemade, and built like a tank. they were built before my time and to date only the 5x10 broke a weld last year, trailers were made in the mid 90s. on the 5x10 i have had 4000 pound rated springs so loaded down the shackle link was resting up against the frame, so i know what kind of a beating our trailers can take and how much better built they are compared to a big company;s trailer.

Haven't built one but used a few. Just as a heads up, if you build a heavy enclosed trailer it is going to pull like an absolute brick. But if you aren't towing it all that often it doesn't really matter if gas mileage sucks. Most of those fancy trailers do pull very nicely but as you mentioned they aren't built to hold up for the long haul.

I have built a few trailers, and it is fun to do!
The axles are available, springs and hangers are not terribly expensive. The steel will cost a little, but you can use better stuff than they do. And judging from the factory trailers I have looked at your welding will be atleast as good and probably better than they did (or would do). Think it thru, and get the 60/40 position of the axle right, and get that sucker square! It will pull like a champ then.

On the other side of the spectrum I have seen some "homemade" stuff that would qualify as dangerous behind a quad in the backyard, let alone on a county road with a load on it.

I guess I would not want an enclosed trailer to haul wood. You are going to be throwing rounds in there and floor will take a beating. Also, has to be loaded/unloaded from rear only.

My old man picked up a used snowmobile trailer 8x16 for around $750. It sits higher than a standard enclosed but would get job done for college and such. Have used it a lot moving people, hauling junk appliances and hauling atv's around. Not heavy duty, but at least you can sell it easily when done. Plus V nose pulls well.

I would save up for a dump trailer, they seem really well built. Not sure how long of trips you usually make, but I have picked up a couple old hayracks for pretty cheap, like $100-200. Have one on a mobile home frame with tandems and hauled a lot of logs with it.

I thought a nice sturdy combo everything trailer would be a double axle stock trailer. They seem pretty strong and are pret near almost all enclosed as they come, just some small windows, etc, which could be patched over if you really wanted it tight.

looks like you are set for a couple 2 wheelers ready made into the frame.. nice!
This is going to hurt...LOL

I built the trailer in 1977 to haul 2 motorcycles cross country. The trailer sat from 1980 until 2017 when I decided to resurrect it. This is after I stripped off everything down to the basic frame and a few more in process.

AND I got to practice my metal fabrication skills.
Trailer.jpg IMG_0362.jpg IMG_0416.jpg

For example..... I scored 6 20' chunks of 6" I beam for $75. Thinking about turning most of it into a dedicated log trailer. But they aren't giving axles away yet so I'm waiting for a deal to come along.

sent from a field

Back