Replacing a 35 year old throw away saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltsuz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Homelite XL-14 that I bought new in 1980. Its been thrown, dropped from 30 feet, cut roots in the dirt, been my small branch saw for years. Super lite, still runs great, will idle all day, its an old friend. The bar bolt threads let go which is typical on these, a future project "maybe". Will a Stihl 170 be a good replacement for this or should I spend 100.00 on another throw-away at Mendards.. Just wondering if a bottom line Stihl will serve me as well as this old Homelite has done.

Yup stihl ms170 your best bet. For around $180 you get the same ccs (maybe a few more than your xl-14) and all modern features. AV mounted handle, better/bigger caps, chainbrake. They're a perfect homeowner saw.

-chimpboy

You're gonna end up with MANY opinions of which saw. In the end it's best to find the one that fits your needs at a price you want to spend. If wanting to stay inexpensive you can find some manufacturer refurbished Husqvarna saws on ebay from a seller called VM innovations. They also sell Poulan refurbs that some friends have bought with good results for under $100 and free shipping. A less expensive saw will be fine if you're only using it for small stuff once or twice a year. If you're gonna use it more than a few times, I'd go for the better saw like the MS170 as you're already looking at.

Yup stihl ms170 your best bet. For around $180 you get the same ccs (maybe a few more than your xl-14) and all modern features. AV mounted handle, better/bigger caps, chainbrake. They're a perfect homeowner saw.

-chimpboy

MS 170/180's are good saws for everything a homeowner typically would need. I had a MS 180C until this wood cutting season. I gave it to my 17yr old daughter for her first saw. That saw has seen a lot of limbing and bucking (8"-10" mostly) in the last 6 yrs and will continue to see the same until she leaves home with it. CAD caused me to replace it with the 346xp. My mastery of household chess caused me to make sure my wife knew I was giving the MS180 to my daughter and teaching her safe use of it. Peace and harmony endure.

Went ahead and bought a new 170. Typical Stihl, runs like a little jewel. Dealer exchanged the 16 inch bar for a 14 and gave me a decent discount for a low dollar saw. I am 2 weeks away from a new 461. I know where I'll go and it wont be Rural King. Thanks everyone, Walt

I ran a 170 on a pruning contract for a while (the boss got a super deal, and I had to live with it). The saw rand great and had lots of power for what we needed. The biggest problem was in the pull start. The pawl that catches in the crank mechanism is made of nylon (or some other plastic) and after a while wears out (becomes deformed) and won't catch when you pull the cord. It's an easy fix, simple part, just a pain.

Oh and the saw doesn't like being dropped 20' out of a bucket.

Went ahead and bought a new 170. Typical Stihl, runs like a little jewel. Dealer exchanged the 16 inch bar for a 14 and gave me a decent discount for a low dollar saw. I am 2 weeks away from a new 461. I know where I'll go and it wont be Rural King. Thanks everyone, Walt
Congrats on the saw!

-chimpboy

Homeowner Helper is nothing but questions often asked elsewhere. The idea is that a new homeowner really won't know where best to post so this gives them a spot to ask a question.

Homeowner Helper is nothing but questions often asked elsewhere. The idea is that a new homeowner really won't know where best to post so this gives them a spot to ask a question.
I am new here, Hopefully I'll get the hang of all the forums in time and be a bit more appropriate. I do appreciate the opinions and suggestions offered up here. Regards Walt

I'd go with a echo 400 it will last forever. So simple and easy to mod carb limiters and make em run good.

Back