Question for you chainsaw carvers.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use bar oil. The detailing bars are dime tipped, hard nose with no roller and wouldn't last very long without plenty of oil.

normal_EagleDouble2013.jpg

I always use bar oil. The detailing bars are dime tipped, hard nose with no roller and wouldn't last very long without plenty of oil.

normal_EagleDouble2013.jpg

Beautiful work! You mentioned in another post you coat your sculptures in oil, what do you use and does it hold up to the elements? I've used spar varnish on some outdoor furniture I made with decent results. Just curious.

It seems I've tried everything out there. I used to start with linseed oil but when it jumped $10 more per gallon I moved on. Currently I pre-treat my carvings with Ace Hardware brand "deck and siding toner" natural. After I cant get any more of that into the wood, I seal it with Ace Hardware brand "log oil". It's my opinion that log oil is urethane spar with some additives. I guess how well it holds up depends on your weather. 110 is a normal summer here in the desert. I do prefer to keep a carving long enough to let it move a bit and get additional coats of log oil into any cracks.
pACE3-12365829t181.jpg

I've heard recently the log oil isn't available in all states. :(

Latest posts

Back