Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6ed4497468bfd173fe50b94932089fac.jpg

40" fir with root rot and of course it leaned away from the lead and lay with no axe of course just a beater wedge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Some pics from the current job. Most of the trees are dead or are dying from oak wilt. Also removing the ash cuz EAB is coming. Everything on the left and in the far background is going. Landing is off to the left out of pic.

Kettle1down.jpg

I'm standing on a saddle between two kettles here. It doesn't look steep, but I popped a wheelie and a full bunk slid off the back coming out of here the first time. Had to go a little lighter after that. Still wigglin uphill at times tho.
Kettle1.jpg

Good production wood in here. Lots of bar length red oak. Runnin to the end of my tape a lot.

sidehillkettle1.jpg

Enough ground to let this one fly down the hill. Swung it over the saddle so I could stretch it out.

Downhillkettle1.jpg

Small landing. Truckers ain't too happy. Only flat piece around though.

Landing.jpg

Some pics from the current job. Most of the trees are dead or are dying from oak wilt. Also removing the ash cuz EAB is coming. Everything on the left and in the far background is going. Landing is off to the left out of pic.

View attachment 485595

I'm standing on a saddle between two kettles here. It doesn't look steep, but I popped a wheelie and a full bunk slid off the back coming out of here the first time. Had to go a little lighter after that. Still wigglin uphill at times tho.
View attachment 485596

Good production wood in here. Lots of bar length red oak. Runnin to the end of my tape a lot.

View attachment 485597

Enough ground to let this one fly down the hill. Swung it over the saddle so I could stretch it out.

View attachment 485599

Small landing. Truckers ain't too happy. Only flat piece around though.

View attachment 485598
Do you guys load the bunks well running backwards up hills?

I have. There is a pond at one end that I will have to dead end at the bottom. Basically lay everything out, then push to the bottom with the forwarder and load up while backing up. Gotta make sure I have it pushed out wide enough tho. Gets tough to see as you get closer to the top. If I can turn around at the bottom I will usually load on the way down and then turn around to head back out. I've been clearing most of the bottom wood out first and pushing tops out of the way to make room for the sidehill trees and room to move once I get to the bottom.

Nice looking wood, is that a franklin forwarder?
Thanks and yes. Its a roof mount. It was hard to get used to the feeling of tipping over all the time, but you can't beat how high you can stack the bunk and 360 degrees of reach. I watched yer video the other day on youtube. 99 percent sure it was you anyway. Looked like fun.

I want to get a forwarder sooner rather then later, I think a combination with a cable skidder would be great. It would be so handy to have a loader on the landing to stack piles nice and tall and not have to pay someone to load up semis for me too.

Ya video with the flatt and scruggs song? Sure is fun wood to cut, wouldn't mind being in some hardwood next so I can pay some bills haha

The viney maple is a curse though, tough springy vines 20-30' long, and tangled they can hold an entire log off the ground or hang a skidder up if not careful, figuring the bind on one can be interesting, just cause its arched one way doesn't mean its loaded that way. Local guy few years back misjudged one, took out his lower intestines, the boys, and if memory serves broke his back too, he lived but only just. The scary thing is bucking with yer logs on top of em, its best to cut all the viney maple you can then buck, since if you forget or miss one it can launch you, the log, yer saw, and whatever else is in the way.

Vine maple is good for throwing and breaking chains it'll chatter your teeth but if your willing to cut it, it makes good fire wood. It also makes beautiful leaves in the fall so has a couple redeeming values

Matt-metal question for ya. 2nd set of dawgs this has happened to. I crack them and weld it up and a few weeks later a crack forms on the edge of the weld and so on. I just keep chasin new cracks. What can i do if anything? I'm using as low a voltage i can to keep a bead. I just let it cool on its own.

Preheat, not sure what kind of steel they use on those but it would make sense if they had a little extra carbon in em, I've filed on em before and it wasn't exactly good on the file...

Any way preheat to like 500 deg then weld away, weld at whatever amps give good penetration, and a flat bead, the preheat spreads the heat out to a wider area and is less of a shock to the steel, also never quench after welding... bad habit that is hard to break. Though I see now your letting them cool on their own....

possibly you can preheat some sand or a welding blanket then once your done welding chuck em em the sand or wrap them in the blanket so it cools off nice and slow. Stuff the sand in a old bread pan, and warm it in the oven at like 450 should do.

Or use a stainless wire, stainless has a bit more "give" to it.

the third option it to buy a stihl...:surprised3:

As a side note... My 066 got blowed up for me last week and my back up 461 had its first and only trip to the shop on sunday... someone jerked the impulse line off the crank... never loan out a saw.:mad:

What process of welding are you using? If it's tig a good safe filler would be like SS 309.

Matt-metal question for ya. 2nd set of dawgs this has happened to. I crack them and weld it up and a few weeks later a crack forms on the edge of the weld and so on. I just keep chasin new cracks. What can i do if anything? I'm using as low a voltage i can to keep a bead. I just let it cool on its own.
I have a spare set of West coast dawgs if you're interested.

Vine maple is good for throwing and breaking chains it'll chatter your teeth but if your willing to cut it, it makes good fire wood. It also makes beautiful leaves in the fall so has a couple redeeming values
It also works great for big wood if it's a big patch of vineys to help save them out.

Matt, rebuild that 066. especially if its an early one.

waiting on parts, probably going to rattle the dremel around in her a bit before install as well. Thought about cutting the squish, and what not but I'm not to confident in what exactly to do there and don't want to ruin a needed jug.

It also works great for big wood if it's a big patch of vineys to help save them out.

Just kind a sucks trying to get to the stumps, or if you have some big nasty vineys they can launch a freshly bucked stick into you, or cut a vine and it launches into you, just unpleasant through and through.

Preheat, not sure what kind of steel they use on those but it would make sense if they had a little extra carbon in em, I've filed on em before and it wasn't exactly good on the file...

Any way preheat to like 500 deg then weld away, weld at whatever amps give good penetration, and a flat bead, the preheat spreads the heat out to a wider area and is less of a shock to the steel, also never quench after welding... bad habit that is hard to break. Though I see now your letting them cool on their own....

possibly you can preheat some sand or a welding blanket then once your done welding chuck em em the sand or wrap them in the blanket so it cools off nice and slow. Stuff the sand in a old bread pan, and warm it in the oven at like 450 should do.

Or use a stainless wire, stainless has a bit more "give" to it.

the third option it to buy a stihl...:surprised3:

As a side note... My 066 got blowed up for me last week and my back up 461 had its first and only trip to the shop on sunday... someone jerked the impulse line off the crank... never loan out a saw.:mad:

Thanks Matt! I wish I knew metals better than I do. I gave the pre-heat a try tonight. Probably be a few weeks before I know if it works.

Back