Bruising from Spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the climbers on here experience occasional bruising on the lumpy bit of bone on the inside of your ankle from spiking up trees?? Climbed a couple of 45m manna gums on Friday Nd have been left with a sore spot and some slight bruising on the inside of my ankles.

Looking for ways to help prevent this in the future. Currently climbing in a new set of Buckingham steel Spurs with Velcro pads

I used to get that with my old spurs , tried all sorts of straps and added different padding , nothing worked . Changed to Bashlin spurs and had much less trouble but not completely comfortable . Changed again to Distel Gekos , problem solved , best spurs by miles IMO .

I use Buckingham steel climbers and inexpensive Carolina logger boots and have not had any issues with ankles rubbing against the shanks. Short of trying other brands of climbers, you could try a pair of Weaver Shank Covers. I use a pair over the straps where they rub against the backs of my calves whenever I use the Opsal aluminum pads.

Caddy pads (aluminum with foam rubber inserts) work nice.
the cheap thinly padded "L" and "T" shaped pads are for masochists.
I like to have the bottom straps as tight as possible. They loosen up a bit anyway as you climb.

Wait! Yer from Australia and are complaining about bruises!!? Yer kidding right?

only that can impact on our male modeling and gigolo $$ incomes

not had hurt ankles,, shine bone upper calve yes,,,, thinking its particular to your bones or buckspurs fit vs boots

I think the problem was cause by doing the bottom straps up to tight, have ran them a touch looser the last couple days and it seems to be better

ah wait solved ok goody bat on

Latest posts

Back