Can you recognize what tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three maples in my literal, back 40 and that is exactly what my sugars look like.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Either way many use both. I pass on any "soft" maple to burn. Sugar is one of my favorites for heat and smoking.

The large block is sugar maple, dammit. Sticking to my story.
Willing to agree with lone wolf re. honey locust. (for the small stuff)

edit: forgot toothy grin or winking dude emoticon.

The large block is sugar maple, dammit. Sticking to my story.
Willing to agree with lone wolf re. honey locust. (for the small stuff)

edit: forgot toothy grin or winking dude emoticon.

I have never seen a hard maple with growth rings as far apart as that top piece or with the heartwood that symetrical

It's definitely maple. All fresh cut maple is very heavy because of the water content when it's green. A cubic foot of air dried sugar or black maple weighs 44 lbs, red maple, 38 lbs, and silver maple, 34lbs. The bark often looks similar on hard and soft maples, but a picture of a twig will ABSOLUTELY identify whether it's hard or soft maple. Hard maples have sharp pointed buds, and soft maples are blunt. Soft maples seed (helicopters) in the spring, hard maples drop their seeds in the fall.
They all generate the same btu's per pound, some pounds just occupy more space. Hard maple is one of the best firewoods available, with weight equal to the red oaks and rock elms.
I believe it to be soft maple because even on the best sites I've never seen hard maple put on growth rings like that. The bark on the large log looks like soft maple, and the dark heart wood on the small log, and splatting of the large log are typical of soft maple.
Post a picture of a branch or twig connected to the tree and we'll all be able to move on to another thread to argue about.

Soft maple. Red or silver. Probably silver. It does not have the same btus as sugar(hard maple) nor does the bark ever look the same. Least not any I've cut.

Only way to be sure is by identifying the leaf or seedlings. Not sure I remember anything called swamp Maple, but Silver Maple is a species and grows in wet areas and is so so for a hardwood. Sugar Maple is easily identified by the fat leaf and very heavy wood after its dry and seasoned.

I see Honey locust on top of Silver Maple in pic 1. look at the color and the rings. See post ten of mine for the pic.
My first thought on the original photo was the piece on top was Honey Locust too. The OP said it was all from the same tree and the piece on the bottom aint it. I stand by my original post, leaning towards Red Maple based on the trunk piece and the piece on the left.

My first thought on the original photo was the piece on top was Honey Locust too. The OP said it was all from the same tree and the piece on the bottom aint it. I stand by my original post, leaning towards Red Maple based on the trunk piece and the piece on the left.
I still say its Honey locust. And Silver Maple.

I concur, sugar maple. Awesome wood.

I am torn now. We have sugar maple and that sure looks like it but red maple makes sense (growth rings). We don't have much of it around here. Ours are either silver or sugar.

Back