Glow Plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm, no feul shutoff solenoid. I just found the correct parts list and there isn't a fuel shutoff solenoid. Fuel looked like it had a small amount of debris in it. Hope that is it.

so I've used the machine several times in the last week. I still can't figure it out. It starts with a quick push of the pre heat and runs great for a long time then stalls and won't start without the pre heat button depressed. let it up ad it stalls. So I run it pushing the button and lettineg it off until, usually after 20 nor 30 seconds, it runs without the pre heat. Looking at the diagram for the ignition switch, the preheat is energized in the heat, G1 position, (Probably with the preheat button), then in the start position, when the engine is running, it shows it being energized from the G2 pole. If the glow plugs are energized, for whatever reason during the normal run position, then I would assume that is where the problem is located. Maybe a bad ignition switch???

I hate to say this as the Daihatsu is the worst engine Vermeer ever put on a machine. I have 13 years experience with the SC352 and many who owned this machine had to install a new engine with less than 700 hours. Daihatsu has left the US market due to the problems that they were having with their engines. I wouldn't recommend this machine to anybody. Diesel engines don't have a spark. I would take this to a diesel mechanic and see what they say.

Sorry, I couldn't help.

Dave

Hey Dave, are you retro fitting different motors to the grinder when these daihatsus blow up? I have one I bought as a project and the rod bearings are shot and tore up the crank. I haven't found a used motor yet, just wondering what other people are doing when in this situation. I see they went to a yanmar engine in later years. My machine only has 7xx hours on it.

Many of my customers are installing a new Daihatsu engine and then selling it. I think Vermeer charged them around $7k to install the new engine. That was a quotation from a couple of years ago.

Hey Dave, are you retro fitting different motors to the grinder when these daihatsus blow up? I have one I bought as a project and the rod bearings are shot and tore up the crank. I haven't found a used motor yet, just wondering what other people are doing when in this situation. I see they went to a yanmar engine in later years. My machine only has 7xx hours on it.

I have a used motor if your still looking? ...it would run but was VERY difficult to start. once you finally got it to start it would run all day. I replaced it with a new one. I will convert to a yanmar if this one blows up.

Hey Blues143, I would be interested. Is it a 58A447 0234 E2
I dont see any listing anywhere for a 58A447 0234-E2? I replaced it with a 58A447 0305-E2 motor. I got a quote for almost $5000 to rebuild my old one.
I'm waiting on another shop to give me a quote on rebuilding my old motor. I'm looking at about $1000 in parts and then labor? not sure if I want to have $2000 in a spare motor. Isnt the 35hp gas about $2000??

Hey blues, The original motor was the 0234 E2. They don't make them anymore and nobody will sell them because they have a lot of problems. I replaced mine with a 58A447 0231 E2 which is the exact same motor in the 31HP mode. When I looked into replacing it with a gas motor, I was quoted $10000 to buy it and get it installed by vermeer. I opted for the E0231 and it just slipped right in and works great.

Hey blues, The original motor was the 0234 E2. They don't make them anymore and nobody will sell them because they have a lot of problems. I replaced mine with a 58A447 0231 E2 which is the exact same motor in the 31HP mode. When I looked into replacing it with a gas motor, I was quoted $10000 to buy it and get it installed by vermeer. I opted for the E0231 and it just slipped right in and works great.

I kept the original diesel and swapped to a 305-E2 motor which is what I have now. I just developed an oil leak from what looks like the oil pan gasket? I will probably go with a 35hp briggs next time as rebuilding this diesel is $5000. the briggs motor is only about $2300 so I'm not sure what your dealer was trying to pull. i'm just not sure the gas motor will be able to do the big stumps i do all the time??

so I've used the machine several times in the last week. I still can't figure it out. It starts with a quick push of the pre heat and runs great for a long time then stalls and won't start without the pre heat button depressed. let it up ad it stalls. So I run it pushing the button and lettineg it off until, usually after 20 nor 30 seconds, it runs without the pre heat. Looking at the diagram for the ignition switch, the preheat is energized in the heat, G1 position, (Probably with the preheat button), then in the start position, when the engine is running, it shows it being energized from the G2 pole. If the glow plugs are energized, for whatever reason during the normal run position, then I would assume that is where the problem is located. Maybe a bad ignition switch???

"Bad ignition switch"
You are thinking gas motor problems. For a diesel, once it starts you do not need voltage. As long as you do not have a fuel solenoid. If you have a solenoid,( it stops running with a key switch)... then you might have micro safety switches? But, they would not be overridden by the glow. High compression and high pressure injection. The diesel has to have both. The glow can act as a crutch when one of those is lacking. That is where I would start. I do not know the specifics of your machine but have been working on diesels for 30 years.

I kept the original diesel and swapped to a 305-E2 motor which is what I have now. I just developed an oil leak from what looks like the oil pan gasket? I will probably go with a 35hp briggs next time as rebuilding this diesel is $5000. the briggs motor is only about $2300 so I'm not sure what your dealer was trying to pull. i'm just not sure the gas motor will be able to do the big stumps i do all the time??

Holy cow! I can rebuild a 12-16 liter diesel for less than that!

My little kubota did something similar start and die. It was fuel shut off solinoid. Little wd40 on it and has worked fine. Rusty from power washing.

It would run if you leave starter engaged but then die or sometimes run. Kept getting worse.

thanks blues143, I also have a spare engine. But I'm going through a lot of parts lately and may need to contact you for parts to stay in business.

Latest posts

Back