anybody grow lima beans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read the WHOLE thread. Sorry, I'm eiither lazy and only read the most recent two pages or, new to the site.? Doc Marts are the best if picked early!! I noticed some are starting in pots, I would like to know the reasoning.

Get 'em going earlier and they yield earlier. Started growing Dr. Martin about 1980.

Lima Bean Project Update:

all limas planted are off and running. speaking of running... plants sending out long runners now. the one I was babysitting appears to have preferred to be merely compost...

your profile won't let me PM you, if you could PM me with your fone # I can give you a call. Thanks, I appreciate the offer....

your profile won't let me PM you, if you could PM me with your fone # I can give you a call. Thanks, I appreciate the offer....

I did a search and found a few commercial sources for Dr. Martin seed. I'd like to see you support one of these seed companies but if for some reason you still can't find seed I'll send you some.

I did a search and found a few commercial sources for Dr. Martin seed. I'd like to see you support one of these seed companies but if for some reason you still can't find seed I'll send you some.

ok, I already wrote main source, but no replies. and no fone #. do u have a source, site or link that has a fone #, too. would appreciate it. I would like to try these big limas... they are BIG! lol

ok, I already wrote main source, but no replies. and no fone #. do u have a source, site or link that has a fone #, too. would appreciate it. I would like to try these big limas... they are BIG! lol

http://www.rohrerseeds.com/Lima-Beans/folder/393

Here's where I bought my Dr. Martin pole limas. They shipped them pretty quick. They're real proud of 'em, six bucks for ten seeds, plus another 3 or so bucks for shipping. Basically a buck a seed. What I'll do with my first crop of Dr. Martins is keep plenty of the crop for seed so I can grow a ton of 'em next year - provided I'm real happy with eating the results of this years planting. I've still got a few pound bags in the freezer of the Burpee variety pole limas to plant so my Martins will be growing around 100 yards away from the Burpee stuff so nothing cross pollinates. I can't plant limas yet until the sugar snap peas are done with the big trellis.

Fired up the 1982 Troy Bilt Horse 8hp Briggs today(Bought it new, BTW). 500 ft or row of Silver Queen in the ground today. 75ft ft. of cantaloupe 50/50 Ambrosia and El Gordo. 100ft. of Crimson Sweet water mellon.

This year, I purchased a big dump trailer load of composted horse manure, and a giant triaxle load of composted leaves. The horse manure compost all went in my corn/bean patch, along with some of the leaf compost. I figure I've already boosted the nitrogen up to max and I'll not use chemical fertilizer this year. All the woodheater ashes of two families also went into the corn/bean patch, along with about 100 lbs of lime. I figure I'm good on nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium with it and won't need to add anything more. The corn goes in first, and after a couple weeks when it is maybe 8 inches high, I plant the green pole beans right beside the row of corn, as close as I can get. Not sure how much row I have, between 400-500 feet I reckon. I get massive amounts of green beans, bushels of the stuff. I'm probably overdoing it, but the neighbors like the stuff enough that they come over and get what I can't use. I worked my corn patch in with my 8 hp Briggs 60's vintage Montgomery Ward tiller. Ain't no vintage TroyBilt, but it gets the job done. This year's corn will be Merit variety. Got lots of frozen seed to use up still.

What the heck are you doing with all that watermelon? A hundred feet is a lot. I don't have the room available to grow them here without plowing up new ground, and I'm about out of ground. I used to have access to a close relative's farm (sad day when they sold it) and had a great success one year with growing watermelons, maybe two hundred feet of watermelons. I got literally hundreds of extra watermelons, planted way too many but just wanted to see what happened and had the equipment to do it. There was a herd of six horses there and they went nuts over the sweet melons, we had horse fights happening over watermelons. My fun with the extra melons was watching those horses get so much pleasure out of eating them.

You'd be surprised how the watermelons disappear around here. I've got several friends with several friends and after a hot day of tree work they are great. Even take some to the job for break time. Very easy to grow as you know.

Update:

my lima bean patch, well 1/2 of it... Fordhooks on L, tan seeds on R. there is a same size section in front of this one. so this only shows 1/2 of the lima bean plot. rest of main garden on other side of house...

lima plants couple days after planting sets (not the okra)
P1010015.JPG

2 weeks later -

lima plants currently 4/26/16
P1010019.JPG

All these pictures have put me in the mood to plant my King of the garden pole beans, since it is warm here for this time of the year I think I will try it next week. might plant 1/2 acre of sweet corn early also, Gotta have my corn and butter beans with the maters!

All these pictures have put me in the mood to plant my King of the garden pole beans, since it is warm here for this time of the year I think I will try it next week. might plant 1/2 acre of sweet corn early also, Gotta have my corn and butter beans with the maters!

>might plant 1/2 acre of sweet corn early also,

you must really like corn, that IS a whole lot of corn. I really like fresh sweet corn, but doubt I could eat 1/4 ac, much less 1/2!

:popcorn2:

I do love my sweet corn, No I can't eat it all, but I do try to eat about 12 to 16 ears for supper every night until it gets to hard. Also the old man that helps me pulls 6 or 8 five gallon buckets every day to take to give to other people. And the hunt club usually comes up and gets a couple thousand ears also. Then when it gets to hard to eat we will cut a pickup load every day to feed the cows. I usually plant 3 patches about 2 weeks apart so it doesn't all get ripe at the same time.

I got a camera so will try to do the pictures, I did try a couple today of tomatoes.

we have been eating contender bush beans for past 2 weeks. now blue lake bush coming in, contenders still producing... will put in another plot... thing they r tastier than the bluelake bush, come in earlier and are a bit more hardy as a plant...

Lima Update:

just got a heads-up from ms Honey... limas now flowering! omg, can pods be far behind? I mean... bowl of buttered beans... ;) lol

progress, progress... I do like progress. and flowering goof lima plants to me is... progress!

guess time for a lil side dressing... :) :yes:

lima bean plants going into 2nd stage: flowering to set pods... time to side dress!
lba.png
lbb.png

was messing around in the garden the other day... putting some cilantro I was transferring into area I had started the lima bean seeds in... and low and behold... a straggler had made its presence known. made me smile big...

a 'suddenly' straggler lima bean plant...
P1010001.JPG

free garden plants
P1010002.JPG

found 2 more limas in with the main group... guess I had put in extra seed. so they got moved to main garden area... also found 6 tomatoes that had sprung up with the limas... and the baby one I was baby sitting that I was very sure had had it... but left it in anyways... well, low and behold... :surprised3: I do declare... think I seen some tiny leaves making their debut today... gonna let it do its thing... ferted them all 13-13-13 as side dressed... and worked soil up around so as to better hold their water when I water them... all showed noticeable improvements at days end... and they were doing awesome as it was... :)

yep, 6 lil tomato plants... I transferred them to a lil nursery I set up...

BL. You have Such a good garden, as we are flooded out here now. Over 3" rain today , Not know when I can even plant sweet corn. It is pouring rain as I type.

BL. You have Such a good garden, as we are flooded out here now. Over 3" rain today , Not know when I can even plant sweet corn. It is pouring rain as I type.

thanks amberg... it's shapen' up. i'll post up some pix of the limas, the new ones, and the lil tomato nursery soon. but have to go mow n shred tomorrow...

here's 2 more early girls... and some store bot sweet corn... no the end wasn't nibbled on by corn worm, nibbled on by me... lol ;)

P1010003.JPG
P1010002.JPG

Latest posts

Back