Splicing Bee line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been researching splicing and made some eye to eye prussicks from HRC. It's got the same hollow braid core that they use the naked core splice on as beeline. I came up with a slightly better way I think to finish the cover to make it neater. You measure the bury length plus the eye and pull the core out through the cover at that point. Do your locked brummel and after put the cover through the eye and feed it back into itself and out again. It takes a bit to milk the cover up to the spliced end but a way neater splice when done. It then should only need whipping to hold it as it's so tight in the cover it's unlikely to move anyhow. I'm not a qualified splicer so don't quote me on it but I would think it would have to make the splice stronger seeing you're integrating the cover into the splice adding strength to the brummel?DSC_1244.JPG DSC_1245.JPG DSC_1246.JPG DSC_1247.JPG

That is a real pretty cover tuck you put on that. I wouldn't count on it adding any strength.

These ropes are "core-dependent" double braid, which means that 100% of the strength is in the core. The cover only serves to protect the core. That being said, a while back we had a member who was load testing his splices, and doing some real neat work. As I recall, Moray tested just the cover of Bee Line to exceed the rated strength of the entire rope.

Where your tucked cover distorts the natural curve of the eye splice will be a weakened part of the splice. Virtually all splices are weakest at the end of the taper, where the single rope is carrying the entire load but is bent over the buried taper. I think your tucked cover is very tidy and neat, but I think it is an illusion to think that it might add any strength. For starters, it isn't being pulled on from the eye, so it isn't going to carry any of the load.

I think it might do an outstanding job of keeping the eye open for 'biner insertion.

Back