How would you cut this down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do believe that I agree with the way Murphy suggested and with a cable hooked up this may help but now STOP and let someone with experience finish it up. With that I don't mean experience in using a saw or downing a few trees or watching axeman a couple times. You need someone who has faced this kind of situation before and knows how to react when the situation changes. Good luck and be careful to who ever tackles this.

A two ton come-a-long would be OK for getting a ballanced tree to tip

but is hardly powerful enough to pull the butt of that limb off the stob.

Bro get a pro in don't jack around it'll could seriously hurt ya .....

That ladder looks extremely precarious especially if the tree moves which would likely knock the ladder down as well as anyone standing on it. I don't think I would attempt to do that ever especially on a ladder. You maybe better off just calling a professional and letting them use there experience as well as equipment. I did trim a few mexican palms which had lots of dead branches using a ladder and it was a very slow tedious process and to make it a little easier I used a electric corded saw which did come unplugged since I was a bit worried about a falling frond knocking the saw into me while cutting or down. As a afterthought I think I would have ended up paying about as much or less as I could have made in the time it took to trim one 30 ft palm. Luckily there were no animals living in the mess since it is in the middle of the yard and the dogs keep most wildlife out of the yard. If a rattler fell on me I would have been in trouble. Palms fronds are easy to cut compared to a branch on a hardwood tree. I am certainly not a pro but in my opinion that tree looks a bit suicidal especially when using a long ladder that could easily bounce or twist to where it has nothing to support it.

That ladder looks extremely precarious especially if the tree moves which would likely knock the ladder down as well as anyone standing on it. I don't think I would attempt to do that ever especially on a ladder. You maybe better off just calling a professional and letting them use there experience as well as equipment. I did trim a few mexican palms which had lots of dead branches using a ladder and it was a very slow tedious process and to make it a little easier I used a electric corded saw which did come unplugged since I was a bit worried about a falling frond knocking the saw into me while cutting or down. As a afterthought I think I would have ended up paying about as much or less as I could have made in the time it took to trim one 30 ft palm. Luckily there were no animals living in the mess since it is in the middle of the yard and the dogs keep most wildlife out of the yard. If a rattler fell on me I would have been in trouble. Palms fronds are easy to cut compared to a branch on a hardwood tree. I am certainly not a pro but in my opinion that tree looks a bit suicidal especially when using a long ladder that could easily bounce or twist to where it has nothing to support it.

OK, are you really FTA?,,,,or his brother?
Jeff :surprised3:

Wow! I missed this heated debate from years gone by , regrettably.

I am pretty sure I would Murph that out pretty easily myself considering there is nothing to be crushed like a house or a damn fence.

When I come across trees like this and there is a house or fence preventing me from Murphing the ********** out I put a pulley and line in the tip and a pulley and line at the butt, climb the trunk and cut the butt free. Its kinda fun but I don't recommend using a ladder.

Is the upper part of the branch too high to get the come along attached to it? Crank the top down to the ground then notch the trunk as if it were to be dropped to a side, 90 degrees to the fall of the branch. Notch it, back cut to weaken and use the come along to tip it and break the holding wood.

Is the upper part of the branch too high to get the come along attached to it? Crank the top down to the ground then notch the trunk as if it were to be dropped to a side, 90 degrees to the fall of the branch. Notch it, back cut to weaken and use the come along to tip it and break the holding wood.
Tough way to try & make a living there "little league" ^^^ if that's your plan.
Your take home pay won't even take you home on a job cleansing & slashing new right of ways for $200 a mile.
Bullet trees are you friend. Knock it off with another snag you have to fall then fence post the top down.

Absence of a bullet tree....
First cut a small sapling about 12-13ft & make a point on the thinner end. There is hope for yet "little league" you are 100% right on the 90%. Side notch. I stand behind the tree and read the lean and cut waist level and only take your eyes off the top for a split second to level your cut and line up. Don't bend down and see if it's cleaned out...it just not that important.
Backbcut...leave some meat. Walk back, put saw down, pick up stick ...
and push it over. 'N' that's the way she's done. Sometimes the top will come too.

Old thread but will add that the few dozen times I've had stuff similar to that I put a 100 foot 5/8" wire rope over the top and pull with a tractor or winch, twice the length of what could bounce away.

Tough way to try & make a living there "little league" ^^^ if that's your plan.
Your take home pay won't even take you home on a job cleansing & slashing new right of ways for $200 a mile.
Bullet trees are you friend. Knock it off with another snag you have to fall then fence post the top down.

Absence of a bullet tree....
First cut a small sapling about 12-13ft & make a point on the thinner end. There is hope for yet "little league" you are 100% right on the 90%. Side notch. I stand behind the tree and read the lean and cut waist level and only take your eyes off the top for a split second to level your cut and line up. Don't bend down and see if it's cleaned out...it just not that important.
Backbcut...leave some meat. Walk back, put saw down, pick up stick ...
and push it over. 'N' that's the way she's done. Sometimes the top will come too.

With that horrid case of wet brain seeming to get worse and worse with every post, it's hard to understand what the hell you're trying to say.

With that, stay away from the bottle when you post next time. It helps all of us.:wtf:

I'll admit mistakes happen Mr. Little league, you're living proof of that. Of course there was a typo on degrees & percentages in my post. Do you have a hard time with big boy terminology? Yeah, I don't touch the bug juice there little league.
I seen what it did to your peanut brain. I can remove that hazard in anywhere from 30 seconds to three minutes without using a pusher tree. Who's the dumb phuck?
I told you before, you have two ears and one mouth, use them in perspective and you could earn the right to be cocky. As it still stands today. I'm the BC West coast faller king of the hill and you are the $hit on my boot so to speak, its not personal, its just a fact. Have a great weekend and nice to see you back.

Pretty sure there are guys on "you ****! tube" that would climb the stick, walk along the top and cut the vertical...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Back