Removing roots from lawns (for mowing)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody do this on a frequent or even a periodic basis?

And I know removing the surfaced roots is not good for trees. This would only be done to crappy undesirable trees. Looking at one lawn where both sides of whole lawn which run along the tree line has more roots than lawn area. Its mostly some brushy willow roots and a lot of cottonwood. Most of these trees have suckers coming up off the roots. The roots go sometimes 20+ ft into the lawn from the tree line. The client said he is open to brush cut and remove some of the trees in time. Also, aeration to reduce compaction is in the works.
The only good tree on the whole lot is a nice mature clump birch and we would have to back fill around it with dirt.

Its so bumpy now trimming would be easier than ztr...

Thinking a couple of axes, or hoe axes (mattocks), and hours of labor should do the trick. However I do have a winch and come alongs available should the roots prove stubborn.

If you cover established above ground roots you will probably kill the tree. These roots have acclimated themselves and are receiving an appropriate fractionalized amount of water, nutrients and oxygen.

Please post pictures of you ripping out the roots of the trees so we can laugh at your stupidity.

If you cover established above ground roots you will probably kill the tree. These roots have acclimated themselves and are receiving an appropriate fractionalized amount of water, nutrients and oxygen.

Please post pictures of you ripping out the roots of the trees so we can laugh at your stupidity.

Hah...if ignorance is bliss. What do you call arrogance?
Thanks for the not help.

Thanks for the not help.

Haha, good one,,
If you really want to, I would use a carbide impregnated chain on you saw.
Stihl makes them in pre-cut loops for 14" 50DL, and 16"55DL,,
you can roots all day long,,
also, most of us here wear a man-suit, I see you wore yours,,cool,,:cool:
Jeff

Thanks for the not help.

Excuse me !? Did I not provide a bit of information of which you were unaware of?

And all the sudden Jeff is back talking out the side of his neck...

That "appropriate fractionalized amount" phrase sounded stunning.
A brief and unexpected moment of clarity, as it were.

Thinking a couple of axes, or hoe axes (mattocks), and hours of labor should do the trick. However I do have a winch and come alongs available should the roots prove stubborn.
f

I have used an axe over the years, when the ground and roots were moist, to save my lawn from a couple of maple trees' roots. There has been no ill effect. The roots I have cut have been up to about 2" in diameter and I have cut in two places and removed the middle, offending part. Mostly with the root moist they cut easily with a single blow. The trees were mature when I bought this place and in 20 years they have gotten more mature.

Back