What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna give the butt another two hours of low and slow. Changed up seasonings on this one. Just added a handful of coals, pumped it down with a mix of apple juice/white vinegar/water....here's a pic...
View attachment 501164

do you cover it while adding charcoal? I assume unlit charcoal... or prelit and hot when added?

Spent about 5 hours cooking. We had a feast plus enough food for dinner all week.

Brats, pork chops, steaks, shrimp, and ribs on the protein side. Then grilled squash, mushrooms, and broccoli. As an appetizer I did poblano peppers with cheese.

I tried to Dutch oven some acorn squash as well but didn't add enough water and burned the heck out of them. Oh well, the rest was good.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The ill fated squash.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Finally a fire to finish the night.
image.jpeg

Spent about 5 hours cooking. We had a feast plus enough food for dinner all week.

Brats, pork chops, steaks, shrimp, and ribs on the protein side. Then grilled squash, mushrooms, and broccoli. As an appetizer I did poblano peppers with cheese.

I tried to Dutch oven some acorn squash as well but didn't add enough water and burned the heck out of them. Oh well, the rest was good.
View attachment 501234 View attachment 501235 View attachment 501237
The ill fated squash.
View attachment 501238 View attachment 501240 View attachment 501241 View attachment 501242 View attachment 501243

View attachment 501244
You damn dog...looks fine. Enjoy the groceries.

The ill fated squash.
View attachment 501238 View attachment 501240 View attachment 501241 View attachment 501242 View attachment 501243

View attachment 501244
Those Peppers look outstanding, I could make a meal of those.

The ill fated squash.

View attachment 501244

i'll take the T-bone and peppers with cheese!... what kinds of cheese in there? good foto essay... :)

Ya'll got to try this if you like burgers and onions, my simple grilled onion burger recipe..............................

I cut slices of Vidalia onions, about 3/4 to an inch thick. If you carefully slice out the center of them the outside ring is curved in on top/bottom and holds the whole slice together when you turn them over. I'll also grill the top/bottom slices but they will often fall apart when turning, still good but a solid, center coin of thick onion is better on the finished burger.
I pour EVOO on a plate and flip the onion slices in the oil coating them w the oil while also seasoning them w Janes Crazy Mixed Up Salt.
I add or pour some more oil on the plate/onion if the onions soak it up off the plate.
let them marinate a while in the oil/spices (or while I get the grill and hamburger/deerburgers ready)
Grill the fat slices of onion w the burgers about 10 mins. a side, turning the onions once carefully to keep them intact , sometimes I put the onions on first for 5 mins. or so , then move them to the edges of the grill to make room for the burgers.
When they're soft and slightly charred I take the onions off the grill.
When the burgers are done (M rare for me) I put the burger ( or cheeseburger, Provolone works well for this ) on a bun, add a fat slice of grilled onion, mayonnaise and black pepper, that's it.
It makes a sloppy, hard to hold/eat burger but they are different from the typical burger and very tasty. Kinda like a grilled Philly cheese steak on a hamburger bun.

EDIT. These onion burgers are also very good a bit of thick BBQ sauce brushed on the burgers right after flipping them, then melting pepperjack cheese on them and hold the mayo.

I just took my butt (pork butt) out of the smoker. Took about 6 hours to reach 165, then wrapped and put back in at about 225 for three more hours. I used a mix of Heinz 57, Jack Daniels yellow mustard, apple sauce to coat it, then covered with Old Bay, rosemary and garlic. Used applewood for smoke. It's fall apart tender and tastes heavenly.

DSCN9374.JPG
DSCN9375.JPG

I just took my butt (pork butt) out of the smoker. Took about 6 hours to reach 165, then wrapped and put back in at about 225 for three more hours. I used a mix of Heinz 57, Jack Daniels yellow mustard, apple sauce to coat it, then covered with Old Bay, rosemary and garlic. Used applewood for smoke. It's fall apart tender and tastes heavenly.

View attachment 502876 View attachment 502877

>and tastes heavenly.

bzyr - dude u nailed it! awesome!! can smell it over here... and looks heavenly, too. how many #'s....

I'm guessing about 4 lbs. It was half of one I found on sale - last day of the "sell by" date. Looked fine to me. Gonna make some pulled pork soup if there is any left. What's really cool is almost all the fat rendered out of it - so it's all meat.

all meat... and delicious juicy flavor... looks great!

View attachment 502876 View attachment 502877
Looks fine!!!

svk - thot about u yesterday, shopping at my fav Mexican grocery... big shrimps on sale... 13-15 count/# 4.99 and passed a huge bin of poblanos... almost bot a couple... my poblano pepper in garden is about now 1/2 egg sized... coming along... 'the day' :barbecue: will soon be here... :)

svk - thot about u yesterday, shopping at my fav Mexican grocery... big shrimps on sale... 13-15 count/# 4.99 and passed a huge bin of poblanos... almost bot a couple... my poblano pepper in garden is about now 1/2 egg sized... coming along... 'the day' :barbecue: will soon be here... :)
Shrimp stuffed poblanos...new idea!

Hanging out around the house this weekend so I will be getting some cooking done. We will be cleaning our pig sty of a garage with all hands on deck. It is not like we have that much stuff in there it is just strewn everywhere. I threw out a whole bunch of empty boxes earlier this week and filled them with anything not necessary that I could find.

Hanging out around the house this weekend so I will be getting some cooking done. We will be cleaning our pig sty of a garage with all hands on deck. It is not like we have that much stuff in there it is just strewn everywhere. I threw out a whole bunch of empty boxes earlier this week and filled them with anything not necessary that I could find.

I do admire you, there... svk! if I had to do that... and I should... I would bleed a thousand deaths!!! lol

shrimp in poblanos... will be look'g fwd to pix... :)

Several Mexican restaurants here have shrimp-stuffed poblanos as appetizers...good eats with the cheese sauce and seasonings they add!! Peppers are usually big enough to cram 10-15 medium shrimp in. About three or four of'em and you're hunting a gallon of Tums to eat.

Latest posts

Back