Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more time.

Attachments

• 103_0026.JPG
    103_0026.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
I was checking my tomatoes other day, as I do almost daily... and noted my romas are really looking like lil romas... will snap a pix soon... I don't normally grow them, but fell into a 'deal I could not refuse' at Lowe's... and so got some add'l varieties. several beefsteak types, if I only get one tomato off them, I will be happy... each has many flowers, so am optimistic! iukwim ~

The first two are brandywines, the other two are early girls. I will try to get a shot of the tater patch. This picture taking thing is new to me.

well, here is a prized tomato pix! first tomato of this season. Early Girl Bush... got 8 more right behind this one... and a whole bunch of flowers setting, too. about baseball size. picked it so I can watch it further ripen day by day in kitchen. :) watching the baby tomatoes show up is sure a fun time for me as a gardener...

first tomato, 2016 Early Girl Bush...
P1010002.JPG

My little pepper patch, believe it will be awhile before I can pick any. Hope the one in the middle makes it.

Attachments

• garden 008.JPG
    garden 008.JPG
    823.3 KB · Views: 9
My little pepper patch, believe it will be awhile before I can pick any. Hope the one in the middle makes it.

plenty soil there. definitely a raised bed! keep the little on shaded if hot n sunny out during hot time of day... extra water wont hurt...

ms. Honey was in N end of town today, stopped at nursery there... wanted some more parsley... and low and behold they were giving away FREE plants. sets. omg... take one sign sid. one? no, whatever you want.... ! omg. so got some more romas, and cherries, and some peppers... mariachi reds, mildly warm... yeah, rite! :eek: and got also a poblano pepper plant. had one pepper set already... and a shoot coming off the mother plant. I wanted to separate it. did a tomato first, one of the romas had a side shoot... once dialed in... took off the pepper shoot. 'bingo!' came off perfectly well with a bit well connected root ball. so off into my pepper nursery it went... should do well... I head roasted poblanos with cheese pretty good! :)

when ur plants r 1' - 14" tall side dress with 13-13-13... when they start flowering... a 7-20-0 will help blossoms... and when lil green pepers grape size, side dress 13-13-13 again... should do very well... this is how I do all my plants... :)

pinched off an end of tomato stem n leaves... tossed it to garden patch to mulch in. then other day noticed the lil guy has an attitude! it rooted and had started to grow... so I gave him an honored spot... or is it a her? lol....

Not much longer for that one. I think I have a few lbs. of 13-13-13 left that I can side dress them with. The dirt that the tomatoes and peppers are planted in is pure rotten cow manure. It does need a dusting of lime every year to help with blossom end rot. I have been using miracle grow on the maters, don't know how good it does, but they usually get about 6' tall.

This is a picture of one of the rotten manure piles. I have several people that come every spring to get it by the pickup and the trailer loads, they say it helps to make the soil lighter.

Attachments

• garden 004.JPG
    garden 004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
View attachment 501579 Grow Zone 9a; BL's first picked tomato of season, ripening status: today

picked two more today, too... :) bit smaller, but red and orange and yellow running thru it... they were noticeably greener this morning when I picked them, then they sat out in warmth of day as I worked... another 10 hr day... and when I shot the pix, noted they had ripened up noticeably. looking fwd to eating them... maybe a 'mater sammy, or maybe a toasted BLT! ;)

P1010003.JPG

I have a buddy up the road from me that grows them in his little green house from seeds that he keeps from his best tomatoes, He also grew the pepper plants from seeds to. He also gets a lot of the cow manure from me every year.

I will check out that book, thanks.

OK, time for a little update.
The decimated plants have been replaced with a mixture of Marmande and some brand new Italian cultivars to try out. The surviving Russian tomatoes are doing nicely.
I also have a few tomatillo plants to try out this year and they are coming along more than nicely: they are already setting fruits.

Tomorrow I'll probably make the first parsley harvest and in a few days the first salad should be ripe for cutting.

OK, time for a little update.
The decimated plants have been replaced with a mixture of Marmande and some brand new Italian cultivars to try out. The surviving Russian tomatoes are doing nicely.
I also have a few tomatillo plants to try out this year and they are coming along more than nicely: they are already setting fruits. Tomorrow I'll probably make the first parsley harvest and in a few days the first salad should be ripe for cutting.

I did a bok choy stir fry tonite and had fresh parsley and cilantro in it from my garden... nice touch to it...

C: and in a few days the first salad should be ripe for cutting - not sure what u r saying?

Back