CSM - Large White Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H1E1G2E1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some advice, very new to milling.

I am looking to mill my own beams, girders, and roof rafters. After looking all over the property I located some large white oaks. They (15) are primarily in the high 60" range DBH, 3 being over 105" clear about 20 feet or more.

Due to the size I am considering buying the Logosol Big Mill LSG and cutting the logs into slabs.

Items Needed

32 - 6" x 8" x 9'
16 - 6" x 8" x 22'
16 - 6" x 8" x 14'

My thought was to cut them into 6" slabs with the BigMillLSG and then use them Logosol M8 I already have with a MS660 to mill the slabs down.

Is this a good approach to cutting the list above vs cutting the log into a cant. Logs are not accessible as they are in a very wet area located on a higher ground. Weight and size is factor.

Secondly I need to have these timbers ready for next spring, I am afraid that if I wait until winter to start I will not have enough time. I know its ideal to drop the trees in the winter but If I do it now will it dramatically effect the quality of the timber? They will be stickered, stacked and coated with anchor seal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aaron

Iron, - I have never seen them M7 / M8 set up this way. Interesting.

I will need to add an additional rail or extensions to cut the long rafters. I am considering adding the Farmers M8 as long as they line up or 1/2 M8. It would be a little more portable then the M8 and allow me to cut almost 25' together.

I don't mind adding different pieces of equipment. I bought them M8 to help build my house. Once I add the big mill I will still be way below the cost of heavy timbers in pine let alone oak. I want to eventually be set up with the M8/ Farmers M8/ Big Mill Pro / Logosol band mill and log head molder. It was one of the main reasons I went with the Logosol system, its upgradable.

Anyone have thoughts on Milling green, spring cut white oak? I have read that the sap will cause binding issues when its this wet almost impossible to mill???

Also any thoughts on cutting this down into long slabs? As long as I center one of them with the pith, I could cut the rest free of heart?

Thank you,

I think if it were me. I would use the big mill like you are planning and I'd put blocks under the slabs and rip them right as they sit on the log. Because unless you have several guys with you, you're not going to be able to budge a 6"x 60"x 9' green or dried slab by hand. When you say inaccessible does that mean by 4 wheeler or atv? That's a ton of weight (Exponentially more actually) to be carrying by hand through marsh...Jon boat and winch line might be in order.

I'm not sure why you'd want to build roof trusses from Oak, but they would be very, very heavy.
As an experienced Architectural Technologist, I would stick to SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir) for the roof and use the oak for beams and headers.

Holy smoke! There is no way I would mill those white oaks myself. I would check with a veneer buyer. Price of white oak veneer logs would amaze you!

I helped build a post and beam barn years ago out of wet hemlock. When chiseling for pockets the water would squirt out on occasion. Heaviest darn beams I have ever moved around. The theory is that as Hemlock dries it twists a bit and locks in the joints plus when its dry it bear to chisel. I expect that over wintered oak is still going to be quite wet a year from now. Good luck and hope you have crane to assist when you build with it.

Latest posts

Back