Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a picture of how the later chain catchers look on the 3000, 335 etc. look with the aluminum catch and bracket etc.? I am needing to replace a couple of mangled early plastic ones. IPL calls for a few parts but I can't tell what all is needed in terms of screws/plugs etc. Thanks.

Edit: Perhaps the bracket is only needed on type II saws?

Does anyone have a picture of how the later chain catchers look on the 3000, 335 etc. look with the aluminum catch and bracket etc.? I am needing to replace a couple of mangled early plastic ones. IPL calls for a few parts but I can't tell what all is needed in terms of screws/plugs etc. Thanks.

I'll look at my 3500 and see if it's what you're looking for?

On my 3500, calls for a K041 mount. I know I can modify a K095 easily enough, but what I'm wondering is if my existing pile of D176 bars and chains would work? I've seen them listed as working, but wasn't sure.

61fbe60a889ea2343497a74aacc26884.jpg

Sorry it's still filthy. What you're looking for I hope?

61fbe60a889ea2343497a74aacc26884.jpg

Sorry it's still filthy. What you're looking for I hope?

Thanks Shawn. I am not sure what that bracket is for that spans the catcher. You must have had to tap a hole in the case to accept the lower screw? Mine are all the type I buffers on the 3000's. I am not familiar with the type II. The catcher is essentially a plastic cylindrical wedge on these. These were phased out I gather. Hoping it might be as simple as a new expansion plug into the buffer and screw on the catcher.

These plastic ones would have suffered insta-rash. This one is chewed right off.

Poulan 3000 Type I Catcher 1.jpg

I'll look at my 3500 and see if it's what you're looking for?

On my 3500, calls for a K041 mount. I know I can modify a K095 easily enough, but what I'm wondering is if my existing pile of D176 bars and chains would work? I've seen them listed as working, but wasn't sure.

Curious about the d176 mount as well. Already have the oil slot and are easy enough to pick up in comparison to the 41's. I'll put it on my "things to check" list.

And 3400 series saws too lol
Got a poulan 3450 yesterday. Not used much, still has almost all of the lettering on the bar, looks like the original chain on it. Dull. Most of the paint still on muffler. Clean and nice hard plastic case. 50 bucks.
Guy said it won't crank. Crunk right up for me. Lol. Won't stay running, but did crank. Gonna tear in to it tonight if I can. Got a teen-ager coming wants to fish at my pond, might have to do that.

Thanks Shawn. I am not sure what that bracket is for that spans the catcher. You must have had to tap a hole in the case to accept the lower screw? Mine are all the type I buffers on the 3000's. I am not familiar with the type II. The catcher is essentially a plastic cylindrical wedge on these. These were phased out I gather. Hoping it might be as simple as a new expansion plug into the buffer and screw on the catcher.

These plastic ones would have suffered insta-rash. This one is chewed right off.

View attachment 505147
I have plenty of those for sale. PM me if you interested

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Curious about the d176 mount as well. Already have the oil slot and are easy enough to pick up in comparison to the 41's. I'll put it on my "things to check" list.
The 176's are wider at the mount area and the chain has to get wide quick when coming off the sprocket. It works but you can see a groove developing once used for a bit

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Cory,

Check this IPL for the 285, 305, 335 saws. There's an explanation in the service reference at the end for the upgraded chain catcher. Look at page two and page 5. The part numbers are in the service reference

The old plug comes out and a new one is inserted that takes a screw and the catcher.

Both retainer and catcher less than $1 US still available

A couple of pics of the one on my 285.DSCF2917.JPG DSCF2920.JPG

Attachments

• 285 IPL.pdf
    130.1 KB · Views: 5
Can't get the throttle linkage off this 3450. I think I'm not seeing something. Made different than my other saws.

Cory,

Check this IPL for the 285, 305, 335 saws. There's an explanation in the service reference at the end for the upgraded chain catcher. Look at page two and page 5. The part numbers are in the service reference

The old plug comes out and a new one is inserted that takes a screw and the catcher.

Both retainer and catcher less than $1 US still available

A couple of pics of the one on my 285.View attachment 505193 View attachment 505194

Thanks Tim. Missed the addendum on the IPL.

Figure it is time for glasses now. I am starting to miss some of the print, so it seems.

Back