Alternative Methods for Throw Lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*TreeFeller*

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am relatively new to rope work/climbing and have been having a tough time hitting my targets when using a throw bag. I know it is a skill I need to develop and I will continue working on it. However, I was wondering what type of alternatives there are to hand-throwing a bag? I have seen the APTA and the Big Shot but they seem a little over-kill for my needs. I mostly climb ponderosa pine using SRT and my target limbs are usually between 30'-60'. I want a system that is compact, quick and easy to reload, and will allow me to accurately hit certain branches. Considering some sort of sling shot with a small weight attached to the line... Wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!

Hey guys,
I am relatively new to rope work/climbing and have been having a tough time hitting my targets when using a throw bag. I know it is a skill I need to develop and I will continue working on it. However, I was wondering what type of alternatives there are to hand-throwing a bag? I have seen the APTA and the Big Shot but they seem a little over-kill for my needs. I mostly climb ponderosa pine using SRT and my target limbs are usually between 30'-60'. I want a system that is compact, quick and easy to reload, and will allow me to accurately hit certain branches. Considering some sort of sling shot with a small weight attached to the line... Wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!
You should be able to get that height and be accurate with just a days practice. Unless you are throwing it wrong.

Lone wolf, it's quite possible I am throwing it wrong. Just using an underhand toss choked up around 1.5' on the throwline. That's how I've seen it done, but I may look into different throwing techniques. And I probably would benefit from practicing somewhere in the woods, where customers and coworkers aren't watching me fail haha.

Lone wolf, it's quite possible I am throwing it wrong. Just using an underhand toss choked up around 1.5' on the throwline. That's how I've seen it done, but I may look into different throwing techniques. And I probably would benefit from practicing somewhere in the woods, where customers and coworkers aren't watching me fail haha.
Thats how I do it. Now what distance away from the trunk are you ? Another issue is keeping it straight and lined up with the target when you let go?

As I'm sure you know every tree is different, I stand where I need to be to get the best angle/trajectory on the bag. Distance from the trunk changes drastically from tree to tree. I can hit the easy shots no problem but when I need to hit a specific branch I struggle. I suppose that skill will just come with time and practice.

On higher throws the longer the pendulum is the better the accuracy and leverage. Try to get 2-2.5' of line between your hand and bag. Let it swing front to back until it's inline and give her a flick. The tricky thing is using the right power for the shot. The harder the throw the harder it is to be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you getting close to target?
>>Before removing missed shot, can you trick or walk that dog into target; backflipping it into target, walking ball/string up and down branch scaffolding!
play, have fun, watch what you are doing and make a missed shot; GOOD!
Then L-earn to evaluate/look for easy shots to see if can walk the dawg into target after easy shot is better than full-bull to target!
Are you shooting straight?
>>if not/or anyway try pendulum swing ball between both hands spread more than hip wide, ball swinging between knees, so throwing from more stable V than single 1 arm
For extra height/ throw arc, can wide pendulum backwards to tree.
>>looks crazy, is less accurate but can throw higher.
If get close to target, see question_1.
Some guys better at throwing like a baseball, not me.
This has saved me lots of time/energy/work on removals, especially palms, dead trees:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/throwline_no_branches.png
This will invert to a pulley hanging from branch, no loading on end of blue in use, only on blue bowline and green rig lines:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_rig_b.png
Just as this will invert for friction saver install:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_fs1.png
to this, to reeve line thru:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_fs2.png
(both inversions need same snap down hard on line to flip ball over backwards as walk the dawg does)
Throwline and techniques, great tools, worthy of your time!
practice, practice...

Are you getting close to target?
>>Before removing missed shot, can you trick or walk that dog into target; backflipping it into target, walking ball/string up and down branch scaffolding!
play, have fun, watch what you are doing and make a missed shot; GOOD!
Then L-earn to evaluate/look for easy shots to see if can walk the dawg into target after easy shot is better than full-bull to target!
Are you shooting straight?
>>if not/or anyway try pendulum swing ball between both hands spread more than hip wide, ball swinging between knees, so throwing from more stable V than single 1 arm
For extra height/ throw arc, can wide pendulum backwards to tree.
>>looks crazy, is less accurate but can throw higher.
If get close to target, see question_1.
Some guys better at throwing like a baseball, not me.
This has saved me lots of time/energy/work on removals, especially palms, dead trees:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/throwline_no_branches.png
This will invert to a pulley hanging from branch, no loading on end of blue in use, only on blue bowline and green rig lines:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_rig_b.png
Just as this will invert for friction saver install:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_fs1.png
to this, to reeve line thru:
mytreelessons.com/rl/images/invert_fs2.png
(both inversions need same snap down hard on line to flip ball over backwards as walk the dawg does)
Throwline and techniques, great tools, worthy of your time!
practice, practice...

Wow thanks for all the helpful advice! I will definitely mess around with using two hands and making the pendulum between my legs. I'm getting better at "walking the dog" and making a missed shot work.

Thanks Philbert, I didn't even consider that the big shot would attach to my poles for the pole pruner. I thought I'd have to order poles made specifically for the big shot or something.

You do need to get the poles for the Big Shot. Do not mount the head on a wooden pole. We had an accident in our company where the climber put the head on a different type of pole and the head broke under pressure and snapped back into his face. Peeled most of his cheek off but the doctors were able to sew it back on. Only use the recommended poles.

"The BIG SHOT® changed the way we use throwlines! Fit it into the female ferrule of a utility-grade fiberglass extension pole and you have a simple, accurate, effective means to hurl your throw weight to new heights."

"The Big Shot head can only be safely used with inspected and undamaged SherrillTree or Jameson brand utility grade, fiberglass extension poles. DO NOT attempt to use this product on a wooden stick"

http://www.sherrilltree.com/media/wysiwyg/pdfs/BigShot_Instruct2014.pdf

Philbert

Treefeller,

I'm north of you here in CO, cutting mostly Pondos, with some Doug Fir, etc. I suppose with practice--a lot of practice--I could improve my throw, but the Big Shot is what I use. I free-throw only occasionally at a low, nearby limb. (I also welded a 2" trailer hitch ball to an eye bolt that I attach directly to my rope when I need to hit a very nearby target--we call it "the mankiller" and there's only limited situations where it comes into play.)

With the tight holes you typically need to aim for in Pondos, I can't imagine not using the big shot. Quite often I hit my target on the first try. When you fall short of target, aim higher on the next shot, etc. Usually several shots get me where I need to be.

I use 10-oz. throw bags w/ the big shot (lighter bags seem to get more distance), though I carry 14 & 16 oz bags and occasionally use them when the friction of bark won't allow the 10 oz to fall well. Ran into that recently w/ some willow.

Also, since the conifers we have here are crazy full of limbs, I attach a 10 oz bag on both ends of my throwline (which lives in a plastic kitty litter bucket). Once I get the throwline over my target limb, as it comes down it's likely to trap other limbs inside the loop--I climb DDRT exclusively--so I pull up the other end of the line and then swing/work the bag as it comes down trying to get a clean loop with no other limbs inside. (Although I'm sure it's great for others and other situations, SRT means extra gear and I'm already gear-heavy and equipment-heavy.)

I remember when I thought $120 for a big shot seemed like big $. But that thing pays its way every day at work, can't imagine going without it. I'm impressed by the guys who can throw accurately, but I'm not one. I have the two piece pole, and it lives behind my pickup seat.

You do need to get the poles for the Big Shot. Do not mount the head on a wooden pole. We had an accident in our company where the climber put the head on a different type of pole and the head broke under pressure and snapped back into his face. Peeled most of his cheek off but the doctors were able to sew it back on. Only use the recommended poles.

Thanks for the tip and I'm glad your coworker is ok. If i decide to get the big shot I will definitely use the recommended poles!

Back