I know you like pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never realized those saws were not direct drive, and I have actually had a few at my shop before. I looked up some pics of the internals:

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG8341-M.jpg

851489545_qRKHv-L.jpg

It looks like these things have about a 2:1 gear reduction (17:35 teeth, on the displayed gears). Does anyone know if you could get different gear sets for the saw?

Here is a thread on chain-drive 090:
http://www.c hain saw collectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=21321

You will need to subtact the spaces. AS has apparently banned references to this website.

From another thread elsewhere:
"A 090 has a 66mm piston, the 070 and the 090G (gear drive) have a 58mm piston. The 090 AV means it has an anti-vibe handle. ...There was a small batch of 10 cube saws made for a racing program, and they are very rare. A fellow collector I know has one and the way to tell is that the deco valve is in a different place on the top of the cylinder... The 090 is direct drive but will pull 1/2" chain on a long bar if needed. The G model is a real torque monster but is very heavy to lug around.​

10 cube is is fine for rare......show a pic of the REALLY rare TopHandle Model.

I read that they only made 10 of the 10-cube saws for USA & the same for Australia. Snapped up by the chainsaw racers, Stihl never seems to have developed that displacement.

I'm pretty certain that the top handled version would have only been available to the Red River Lumber Company in California, for the exclusive use by their lead feller, Paul Bunyon. Given his penchant for casually throwing small things around, that unit was probably destroyed many years ago.

Back