Potato patch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on the mud patch, Water still standing in the rows, With two more storms today.

Attachments

• 2016-05-23 001 014.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 014.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Update on the mud patch, Water still standing in the rows, With two more storms today.

that's a lot of potatoes. how do you dig them? machine or hand?... do u put them up? root cellar or something?....

i just dug a potato plant other day... had decided its time was up... got a nice handful for a meal... haven't cooked them too much... hard to keep up with producing gardens down here this time of year... everything hitting the 100 - 120 day mark... and still it keeps coming... lol...

oh well, the neighbors never say NO... ;)

that's a lot of potatoes. how do you dig them? machine or hand?... do u put them up? root cellar or something?....

i just dug a potato plant other day... had decided its time was up... got a nice handful for a meal... haven't cooked them too much... hard to keep up with producing gardens down here this time of year... everything hitting the 100 - 120 day mark... and still it keeps coming... lol...

oh well, the neighbors never say NO... ;)

I hope we use this. Not sure what the hell he wants to do with all of them!!2016-05-16 002 012.JPG2016-05-16 002 012.JPG
2016-05-16 002 012.JPG

My potato crop won't be much to brag about this year. We had a hard freeze on April 9 and I only had enough bedsheets available to cover one row. That particular row is doing fine. The other two rows were damaged by the cold and haven't recovered. Can't win for loosing. If I plant too late I don't get much of a crop because the hot weather makes 'em stop growing. I planted a bit early this year, and get frost damage. I did get lucky at a thrift store shortly after my tater disaster - found a big pile of bedsheets for real cheap. So I'm ready for next year. It's that doggone global warmin' that ruined my tater crop.

My potato crop won't be much to brag about this year. We had a hard freeze on April 9 and I only had enough bedsheets available to cover one row. That particular row is doing fine. The other two rows were damaged by the cold and haven't recovered. Can't win for loosing. If I plant too late I don't get much of a crop because the hot weather makes 'em stop growing. I planted a bit early this year, and get frost damage. I did get lucky at a thrift store shortly after my tater disaster - found a big pile of bedsheets for real cheap. So I'm ready for next year. It's that doggone global warmin' that ruined my tater crop.

>It's that doggone global warmin' that ruined my tater crop

"here, here!!" no doubt ~ :rock:

how cold did it get there ckwd? I don't cover mine and they do fine even down to 25F.... just wondering.

I believe it was around 27F. It could be that the variety of potato in those two failed rows has something to do with it. It's the blue goose taters that succumbed to cold. The other row that is still doing well, the ones I covered up, are Kennebecs. The leaves on all the gooses just shriveled up and turned brown.

I believe it was around 27F. It could be that the variety of potato in those two failed rows has something to do with it. It's the blue goose taters that succumbed to cold. The other row that is still doing well, the ones I covered up, are Kennebecs. The leaves on all the gooses just shriveled up and turned brown.

oic.. thanks for info. interesting... perhaps the blues not as hardy....

Nice! When did you plant 'em? My taters are beginning to yellow a bit, it's probably about time for me to start digging mine.

in general, I let my plants completely die down... then week or so later start digging. this year dug spuds plant by plant... spaced out their use better. still have two growing. both green... I am encouraging both...

in general, I let my plants completely die down... then week or so later start digging. this year dug spuds plant by plant... spaced out their use better. still have two growing. both green... I am encouraging both...

What usually happens to me is I get busy and find excuses not to dig the taters up. Then the vines completely die away to the point where I don't even know where they were, making tater digging more difficult. If I pull 'em a bit early when the plants are still a bit strong, I can pull some of the potatoes up along with the plants, makes it a bit easier. The soil in my tater patch is very loose from all the compost I've dumped in it.

What usually happens to me is I get busy and find excuses not to dig the taters up. Then the vines completely die away to the point where I don't even know where they were, making tater digging more difficult. If I pull 'em a bit early when the plants are still a bit strong, I can pull some of the potatoes up along with the plants, makes it a bit easier. The soil in my tater patch is very loose from all the compost I've dumped in it.

really? never heard of such a thing... unless leaves or something covered patch. if that was my problem, I would mark ends of rows with stix... then just 'connect the dots'... I have grown potatoes under pine needle rows... then just have to reach in and pick one or two. kinda fun, well so long as no critters in there too...

:D

:surprised3: uh-oh!!!

:eek: eeekkkk!

:wtf:

really? never heard of such a thing... unless leaves or something covered patch. if that was my problem, I would mark ends of rows with stix... then just 'connect the dots'... I have grown potatoes under pine needle rows... then just have to reach in and pick one or two. kinda fun, well so long as no critters in there too...

I mulch my taters very heavy with leaves. Prevents weeds from growing and keeps soil moisture in. This year I didn't have to worry much about soil moisture, we've had plenty of rain.

Back