Wood to mill cutting boards in SouthWest Montana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydell58

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

So I'm looking to do a little project with my Granberg Mini Mill making some cutting boards for family and friends. I know there isn't a lot of hardwood in Montana, but is there any that would be suitable for a cutting board?

Going to leave the cutting boards with roughy ( natural ) edges, about 12" x 12" and finished with a mineral oil and bees wax mix.

Any input would be awesome! Thanks

I want to see the pictures when your done. Welcome to the site. I'm just getting to projects with wood I milled 4 and 5 years ago, getting ready for when I retired. Now I'm retired and looking for ideas for projects, Joe.

Look up whatever woods you can get on the Janka Hardness scale (just type the wood name and "Janka" into google). For a cutting board you'd want to be as much over 1000 lbs force as possible.

Just make sure since you're doing the milling to let the wood dry out before you make your stuff, not sure what stuff grows out that way, I'm lucky to not have to worry about just having pine trees grow around here haha. Here's a couple things I've made in the past, the cherry had partial live edge but cut it off.

Just make sure since you're doing the milling to let the wood dry out before you make your stuff, not sure what stuff grows out that way, I'm lucky to not have to worry about just having pine trees grow around here haha. Here's a couple things I've made in the past, the cherry had partial live edge but cut it off.

How thick is the cherry cutting board?

Let the wood dry out after milling or before milling?

If it's after milling about how long would you let a 1" thick slab sit to dry

The hardest woof i seem to be able to find is Paper Birch, with a Janka hardness of 910lbf.

Anyone have experience with paper birch? I'm slightly skeptical...

I have used paper birch and other less "hardwoods" for cutting boards, the work fine, just wear faster. Your best bet in my opinion is to check with the tree services for city trees, like ash, maple, elm, walnut etc. Check with tree services and/or the cities in Bozeman, Missoula, etc. Good luck with your project and post photos.

Thanks for the tip PheasantHunter, ill see what i can find and post photos along the way

Linden/basswood makes for good cutting boards. Soft and light. I made cutting boards out of hickory and maple, they look great but the soft wood feels much better under the knife. My $0.02 only of course.

Let the wood dry after you mill it, milling green lumber is a lot easier from what I've read, doesnt dull the chain as quickly. Make sure you seal the end grain to help minimize the checking/splitting, stuff called anchorseal or use latex paint.

If you wait for the log to dry before milling it will check (split) and it would take a long time for a log to dry all the way through.

For cutting boards, it's NOT just about wood hardness... It's ALSO about how big the pores of the wood are, as you want them as small as possible to keep food particles and bacteria out...

That's why you see so much maple used for cutting boards... Even aspen is a fine grained wood, and at times I do "mix it in" on some of my cutting boards...

SR

Rydell58
I have made alot of cutting boards/butcher blocks/ serving platters .... A few things you might want to think about..

Hardwood or softwood really does not matter to most people. If you were to ask 9 out of 10 people why an end grain butcher block is used, they would shrug there shoulders..If you were to ask the same question regarding longgrain vs. end grain, it would be about the same.
Most of my boards were sold for gifts or to be used a serving platters and I would say the majority will never see a knife, as the people wielding the knifes will say they are too nice to use!!!(that is not a pat on the back to me but more of a fact).
I personally stick to hardwoods local to my area because they are nice to work with and have nice grain patterns alot of the time.
There is much debate on what to finish your board with and I think you are using the right combination, I use the same or 100% coconut oil. The people who blab about coconut oil going off and turning rancid should not own a board or learn how to clean one with soap and water.
I have included a pic or two of some of my past boards.
Good luck on this and I look forward to pics.
G Vavra
board.jpg

First slab cut with the mini mill... I can tell this milling thing is going to become an addiction, seeing the beautiful grain after a cut is just too cool

Latest posts

Back