Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut those stinkin, Cut those nubs off on ur way up and try not to take Y shaped branches in a tight rig

I don't recall mentioning stubs, if something is hung up on a stub then that's obviously the climbers fault.I don't actually consider myself a "climber", more so, a tree worker. Your handle indicates that you see some demarcation between climbers and groundies, that, for the most part, doesn't actually exist. I run a crew where most of the groundies are also competent climbers, maybe you should give climbing a try and then you might have a better grasp on the whole situation - this thread included.

As I hurriedly get pulled over in a parking lot today my groundie pulls in behind and when asked if he noticed the truck he's driving is smoking like crazy. "No I didn't." Transmission cooler line gave and was spraying all over the exhaust. Smoke pouring out. 3 gallons low. Good thing I have mirrors on my truck I guess

Same response on the 361, when I got it the brake is broken. It wasn't the last I used it. So I ask when did the brake stop working, " I don't know, is is broke?" So he picks it up to see for himself incase I didn't know what I was doing. Pulled the side cover everything is blue from heat and the side of the main housing where the brake attached is cracked and movable

My son has been working with me off and on for the past couple of years. First time out lately, since last fall, now that school sports are over. He's 13. I asked if it's getting easier, all the lifting and dragging now that he's older. Also asked what he thinks would make his job easier just for kicks.

He tells me "In addition to the morning coffee break around 9:30, maybe we could have a mid afternoon snack break say around 2:30."

The other guys want to change that to a mid afternoon nap break.

My son has been working with me off and on for the past couple of years. First time out lately, since last fall, now that school sports are over. He's 13. I asked if it's getting easier, all the lifting and dragging now that he's older. Also asked what he thinks would make his job easier just for kicks.

He tells me "In addition to the morning coffee break around 9:30, maybe we could have a mid afternoon snack break say around 2:30."

The other guys want to change that to a mid afternoon nap break.
Sure a 3 minute break to eat a snack is fine.

I've got the best groundie. He's responsible, punctual, honest, hardworking--he hates to stand idle and will find something to do if I don't have anything pressing. He learned early where every tool lives, and at the end of the day he's got half my gear stowed by the time I get there. Believe me, I give thanks every day, and I pay him well.

But I've worked with all those numbskulls at one time or another. Worked for a number of years as a stagehand--"Backstage, where high tech and lowlife meet." We were disassembling a set one time, with certain pieces that needed to be unbolted, and some fit pretty tight. A guy could not remove a tight bolt so he picked up a hammer and started beating the end to drive it out. I said, "Don't hammer on a bolt--you'll ruin the threads." He said, "Only on the end."

Latest posts

Back