Swamp crossing road

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
18-25# is normal for an adult around here. There's a hundred cabins along the beach road, and probably half of them are good for easy food of some kind. Either coon are too well fed to risk going in a bucket, or one of my neighbors had previously educated them on the sets. I couldn't get a catch with shrimp tails when I first started trapping here. Corn and or marshmallows in dog-proof traps are my bread and butter.

My former cabin neighbor (rip) had a big garden. He actually got corn to grow to maturity (darn near impossible with our short growing season). He had endless problems with skunks and coons and trapped many of them. I'm assuming he had educated that big coon I got.

Took a few nuisance skunks too. That's always a pleasure lol.

Yep. I had a skunk in my leg hold I'd set for yotes in a sand bar on one of my trails. I had it tethered to a tree off the side, and the damn thing wrapped itself in the cable after chewing it's foot off. Was still alive when I was trying to get a clean shot on it without wrecking my trap. Pee'd stink all over everything! :)

When I'm finally living up here I'll get more serious about trapping. A few years back I put a big dent in the coon population (26 in one season just off my swamp), and slowed their roll to where I'd run 3 sets and be lucky to catch one in a weekend.

I've heard if you can break a skunks backbone he can't spray. Not sure if that's urban legend or truth.

My BIL heard a skunk can't spray if it's feet aren't on the ground. WRONG! Although it can't vaporize the stench it comes out like snot instead lol.

That stink oil is something else, ain't it? :eek: :laugh:

Going back to my big haul year. The next year my idiot lake neighbors were commenting about how they hadn't seen any coons in a while. I stopped short of saying "you're welcome." :innocent: Those morons think they're cute and cuddly (my mother in law has little coon statues and stuffed animals - not real ones :ices_rofl: all over).

Growing sweet corn to ears is something to brag up in the North country. Coon break the stalks for sport!

Did I mention I hate coon? :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

We were up in the boundary waters a while back and had a coon come into the campsite after dark several times until my BIL chased it away. Our dog was in the tent and slept through it all lol.

Added some new debris to the shoulder across from the complainer's garden. I hit the new RoW growth with gly, but I guess I didn't mix it strong enough.

20160605_153511-1.jpg

Can't fill it with dirt, but slash is 100% allowed per the WCA. :) Gotta keep that thistle controlled.

The mud hole is nearly a memory. I'm able to drive the wheeler over it, even though the tractor just churns it up. Having this road open again (even just for the atv) is nice, because without it my South 40 is another 1/2 mile round trip.

20160630_135057.jpg

I've got some of this fill on another (former) mud hole that's had time to dry and it's just like concrete with all the clay and silt. Once this spot dries out and I can get the rest of the fill placed, I should be in good shape all the way up to final grading and taconite top dressing.

Again I am dumb, But what is campsite or portage?
Portage is a trail connecting two lakes. IE if you paddle a canoe to the far end of the lake then walk the portage trail to the next lake. There's roughly a million acres of wilderness in ne Minnesota that's designated canoe area meaning only canoes, kayaks, or small boats can be used.

Campsite is a single group spot to camp.

Portage is a trail connecting two lakes. IE if you paddle a canoe to the far end of the lake then walk the portage trail to the next lake. There's roughly a million acres of wilderness in ne Minnesota that's designated canoe area meaning only canoes, kayaks, or small boats can be used.

Campsite is a single group spot to camp.

Nothing like that here in Va. But I would like to live up there, - the canoe, We don't do canoe's here that I know of. We do have a giant lake here, It is called lake anna. Power station. ( nuke )

pretty country there amberg... is ur place close?

Lake Anna, VA
View attachment 520719

Yes I am close to it, The creek that runs through the farm feeds the top side of the lake in Orange co. I am only a couple miles from the top of the lake. The lake itself runs through three county's, Orange, Spotsylvania, and louisa. I am close to the Orange, Spotyslvania line. ( The old stomping grounds )

( Check out North Anna Power Station.)

Been back at the driveway lately and did a quick video about half way last week (kept working after shooting this). I probably moved 50 yards of fill to this spot that day. :) Thank God for good music or I'd be miserable driving this route.

Keeping with tradition, I'll be on the tractor for firearms deer opener tomorrow, just as soon as I get out of bed (whenever that happens :laugh: ). I'm pretty close to getting into clearing the lot for the house and shop, so that's exciting progress.

Made some more progress at the house site today.20161110_160241.jpg

First time any highway vehicle's ever been on this site. :)

Back to deer hunting tomorrow.

Back