the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some loading today and had a holy shhit moment when a primer was mashed ,lucky it got pushed out of the primer feed and didnt go bang,a few years ago i had one go off when it got sheared in two ,that one set the other 100 primers off ,scared the living bejeezus out of me and blew half the press up sending it upwards and into the shed roof:eek:

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Doing some loading today and had a holy shhit moment when a primer was mashed ,lucky it got pushed out of the primer feed and didnt go bang,a few years ago i had one go off when it got sheared in two ,that one set the other 100 primers off ,scared the living bejeezus out of me and blew half the press up sending it upwards and into the shed roof:eek:

:crazy2:close call glad your still around

your lucky day

I got 5 or so -308 cases with primers fitted but i'd like to get them out so i squirted a dose of wd40 inside & let sit,,,, so should be inert tho i'll wear me specs and press slowly to be sure.... then clean and warm dry em good

your lucky day

I got 5 or so -308 cases with primers fitted but i'd like to get them out so i squirted a dose of wd40 inside & let sit,,,, so should be inert tho i'll wear me specs and press slowly to be sure.... then clean and warm dry em good
Can you just chamber and fire them,thats what i do
I use a lee auto prime or the priming arm on the lee press its slow but safe as houses

Yeah i got a T7 its also slow compared to my Dillon ,cant really complain thats two buggered primers since 1995/96
uploadfromtaptalk1467025101844.jpguploadfromtaptalk1467025137012.jpg

Can you just chamber and fire them,thats what i do

nope its a long story but i short shanked or limp wristed the necking throw so they got a bulge that jams then in breech,,, really for a few cases it no biggy to just chuck em away but i;d like to fix wot i ****ed & learn my mistake.

speaking of mistakes i's been moaning about my chain filing of late blaming the chain brand - steel or files... today took a careful look at my 30 plus years of practice & workman ship,,,,ffs i been gouging out a ridiculous under cut gullet i've just been pressing down too hard and stuffin the tooth profile hackin out the strap link... really just gitin lazy or stupid or both in my old age...

wrong wrong wrong
WP_20160627_005.jpg

I finally got around to getting my 272 full circle crank cleaned up. Unfortunately the OD ended up a touch too big. Ill pull it out and turn it down. It only rubbed on one small section of that case side, and could turn by hand. But I figured I could not be sure of clearances under load and op temp that I better not risk it.

On another note, there is a bit of corrosion in the crank area of the case. Not much but the powder coating has let go in spots. Should I bead blast it raw or leave as is? I hear that mag can corrode real easy and this saw will sit for periods of time....

IMG_0246.jpg

I finally got around to getting my 272 full circle crank cleaned up. Unfortunately the OD ended up a touch too big. Ill pull it out and turn it down. It only rubbed on one small section of that case side, and could turn by hand. But I figured I could not be sure of clearances under load and op temp that I better not risk it.

On another note, there is a bit of corrosion in the crank area of the case. Not much but the powder coating has let go in spots. Should I bead blast it raw or leave as is? I hear that mag can corrode real easy and this saw will sit for periods of time....

View attachment 510284

Nice crank

speaking of mistakes i's been moaning about my chain filing of late blaming the chain brand - steel or files... today took a careful look at my 30 plus years of practice & workman ship,,,,ffs i been gouging out a ridiculous under cut gullet i've just been pressing down too hard and stuffin the tooth profile hackin out the strap link... really just gitin lazy or stupid or both in my old age...

wrong wrong wrong
View attachment 510283

Have seen much worse.

The file holder gauge thingy will solve that problem. I use it all the time now days.

wrong wrong wrong
View attachment 510283

i dont use the right size file on my chains i use the next size up it gives me a steeper knife on the tooth larst longer between sharpings and less likely to do what you have done.

in denial i was at fault i tested a few different files brands and sizes to work out what was up,,, all i did was blunt or **** a few chains or make them so aggressive in profile wos scary to use. This is just me getting lazy and not watching what im doin in belief im well versed in filing then blaming the outcome on anything but me,,,, so perfectly natural says my wife.....

& ahoy you mob, pls keep an eye out for Pine trees dying off.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/…/biosecurity/plant/pine-nematodes
An infestation of an exotic pine nematode (Bursaphelenchus species) was discovered in the wood of a single dying pine tree (Pinus species) in Sydney in March 2016. The infested tree and two other suspect host trees close by were removed and destroyed. The New South Wales Government is conducting surveillance of pine (Pinus species) host trees across New South Wales to determine any further infestations.

Reporting

If you come across pine tree that is dying or has died rapidly, please report it to NSW DPI by
Emailing your pine tree health reporting sheet to [email protected]
Emailing a photo and description to [email protected]

Report any suspect exotic plant pests and diseases by phoning the Exotic Plant Pest Hotline 1800 084 881

guys, I have the sintered brass oil tank vent to fit in a 288 case. Correct part number etc. It is 5.2mm dia, the hole in case is ~4mm. ANy tips or ideas?

Thought I'd share two failures you don't see everyday.
1st up oldest 066 we own that is still running that is and I honestly could not add up the hrs this saw has done put it this way a hell of a lot of hrs on this saw! Anyway bucking logs yesterday saw hits max revs in the cut and chain stops turning and immediately think snapped crank? (seen done that once B4 on a ms660) turn saw over for a look c and all looks good WTF?! so pull it apart and found this clutch carrier/spider all like shat it self!.. but got hell of a good run out of it and it was well past its used by date as you can see (pics)...
2nd failure few weeks ago when it was still running (useable B4 the stud thing) ms661 in the cut bit of crunching noises and **** and chain stops hmm WTF? lol as you can see .404 rim exploded into bits! even the old man said hes never seen a rim do that B4 only split in half when he was running 090's but never he seen one like this? as you can see (pics)....
Hope you guys have ya fires already cranking for a cold weekend! we might even get snow here Monday so they say awesome NOT ! ha...

View attachment 509801 View attachment 509802

Seen both of those happen. Had a ms390 crack the clutch carrier in half and a 3/8 rim come in in bits like that one

in denial i was at fault i tested a few different files brands and sizes to work out what was up,,, all i did was blunt or **** a few chains or make them so aggressive in profile wos scary to use. This is just me getting lazy and not watching what im doin in belief im well versed in filing then blaming the outcome on anything but me,,,, so perfectly natural says my wife.....

& ahoy you mob, pls keep an eye out for Pine trees dying off.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/…/biosecurity/plant/pine-nematodes
An infestation of an exotic pine nematode (Bursaphelenchus species) was discovered in the wood of a single dying pine tree (Pinus species) in Sydney in March 2016. The infested tree and two other suspect host trees close by were removed and destroyed. The New South Wales Government is conducting surveillance of pine (Pinus species) host trees across New South Wales to determine any further infestations.

Reporting

If you come across pine tree that is dying or has died rapidly, please report it to NSW DPI by
Emailing your pine tree health reporting sheet to [email protected]
Emailing a photo and description to [email protected]

Report any suspect exotic plant pests and diseases by phoning the Exotic Plant Pest Hotline 1800 084 881

Umm, if it only effected radiata, I'd be happy as. Hate em.

On the Princess Hwy on the way down here to Gippy, there's a stack of them dying off near the Gumbuya Park or whatever it's called. It's on the south side of the Hwy in Tynong...At least 50 dead I'd say, I suspected they may have caught the developer's curse, also known as poison.

guys, I have the sintered brass oil tank vent to fit in a 288 case. Correct part number etc. It is 5.2mm dia, the hole in case is ~4mm. ANy tips or ideas?
That sounds awfully big serge, however on friction/press fits, I always place part in freezer for around 2hrs, then heat the case area with a gas soldering torch.
These torches are safe to use, as the temperature will never exceed the melting point of the magnesium..... Oxy/acetylene will cause damage if not careful.
Heat the case for 3-4 minutes and put vent in straight from freezer.
Hope this helps!

Back