Stump grinder muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our Carlton 2500-4 muffler broke off at the 2 welds that attach the muffler pipes from each cylinder to the muffler itself. I assume we can re-weld these breaks but can we run the grinder in the meantime w/o the muffler (is it safe for the motor - 27 Hp Kohler gas)?

Our Carlton 2500-4 muffler broke off at the 2 welds that attach the muffler pipes from each cylinder to the muffler itself. I assume we can re-weld these breaks but can we run the grinder in the meantime w/o the muffler (is it safe for the motor - 27 Hp Kohler gas)?

Happened to me the same place 2 years ago. I did my best to put a wedge in to shore up the muffler so the gap in the broken welds were as small as possible. Then I used one of those after market muffler repair kits. It worked for a little bit but got worse throughout the day. I think I ran a day and a half before the replacement muffler came in.

I would advise agains re-welding. I was told that the weld would be strong, but then it would just crack again right next to the weld.

I found an OEM replacement for less than 200 I think. I tried to link the site, I believe smallenginerepair.com or something, but their site is down. It came with replacement gaskets and was an easy bolt on fix. Just make sure you go easy on the bolts cause my were rusted to ****.

I built a header for a Honda 20hp on our old boxer by using the manifold tunes and pipe then put a cheap tractor muffler on and braced it. Worked fine and had an hour and $30 in materials in the whole thing. On the boxer it put the muffler outside the machine so the motor stayed cooler also. On the grinder you would just have to take care to brace the replacement muffler well

I welded my up on my 2500-4 years ago,They weren't completely broke off,if you take it to a welder he can tack it before you remove it so the flanges are alined and square with the heads,if not square they won't seat against the heads and leak.Running straight out of the head is a bad idea bad for the valves.

Back