Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know, there are substantial gains to be had by just a muffler mod on the US version of the MS361....

It did make a difference on my Euro one as well, but not as much as reported on the US ones.

I have both types of 361s, German and USA. The Euro model is snappier and more responsive w/o a muffler mod. The Brazilian 361 has the same engine and muffler as the US model, and the same rated HP. Supposedly the entire 361 production line was shipped to Brazil (what is not cast in Europe or fab'd in China). I looked into importing new 361s from Brazil, but the cost was too high with shipping and we do not have a trade agreement with Brazil, so import duty and tariff is pretty high. There is low and no tariff from Canada or Mexico, so I also looked into importing Brazilian 361s from Mexico, but the dealer cost there is too high (I think thy pay a tariff to import them into Mexico from Brazil) and there is a variable duty on goods imported from Mexico not made in NA. Its complicated.

It's me...Randy E.

Sorry to hear about your mom passing. My mom is 87, and I worry about her a lot these days.

My mom has not quite passed yet. She is still kicking, but not very hard. She is 90, and had a series of micro strokes over the past few months. So she is not long for this world, according to her long list of doctors. We take it day to day.

Indeed. Next week the medical 'death industry' BS starts up again with my mom, so I will be on sabbatical from here and OPE again. Geez, even 'oh pee eee' is asterisked out here now? Some things never change.

1cf1acc8aadff4179b747f16bd493eb9.jpg
0283000c2601ee918d50a5d5e1e89d06.jpg

Best of luck with your Mom, ditto what Randy said. My Mom will be 87 next month.

My Dad had dementia and strokes before he passed, and they medicated him, so did not know who we were, sad! He would not have chosen to remain around like that. I guess they had to medicate him because he was a WWII vet and started to believe there was a German behind every door, but the result was not good.

I've got one of each (old and new) on the bench. Anything you want the see compared?

Yes please.

Would you mind comparing the weight of the individual pieces as you tear them down? It would be really nice to know and be able to share with others, where exactly the weight savings have come from. I'm just as curious, if not more, to know where the new 261 has lost it's weight. BSnelling said the head alone on the 261 was 3.4ozs lighter.

Thanks,

-Pat

Latest posts

Back