Saws 'n stuff in Japan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husqvarna killed off zenoah/redmax saw sales in the usa last year. Maybe I'll get one of those 550 xp's this year.

The girl in the photo (no angel wings, just something in the background) is just a happy-family design touch to improve home center sales, I guess.
The saw was named "kogaru", initially, which also means "little girl" but has somewhat different connotations these days.
This little Zenoah was (and is) very popular over here. Also is copied a lot in China, it seems :chainsaw:

That's an interesting marketing strategy.

Had some time today for the muffler
DSCF0591s.jpg

This 070 AV has some damage around the lower spike mount (probably was idling on concrete too often for extended periods) and one of the previous users managed to push the tensioner peg through the casing alloy...
DSCF0592s.jpg
DSCF0593s.jpg
so it will be used in one of the mills as a non-AV. It does run very nicely and has ample compression.

This one arrived today...
DSCF0603s.jpg
...an early 268XPG with a patched metal tank...
DSCF0605s.jpg
and a badly cracked sprocket cover - too little surface pressure to properly hold the bar
DSCF0606s.jpg
But otherwise a nice runner with a working grip heater...

And this one returned to me the other day after 10 years...
DSCF0607s.jpg

o_O 45 ?? Yes, in Japan some were designated 45, as 4 is an unlucky number and a Type 44 difficult to sell.
DSCF0608s.jpg

There also was a 644 (type 444)... I got one somewhere and will take some pics when I find it.

A few days ago I got this wreck...
DSCF0609.JPG
The piston looked OK overall, but there was two discernible streaks on the left and right when looking through the exhaust port...
DSCF0615.JPG
I guess the saw was used as a "root cutter" (they sell special versions for that purpose over here).

Someone had worked on the carburetor and killed it in the process - but the carburetor looked sort of familiar. After some digging I found something usable in my miscellaneous pile. The carb of a Dolmar 133 will swap 1:1 when the L and H needles are replaced.
After fitting a new "homemade" fuel line and a fuel filter the saw runs pretty good - the clutch spring needs to be tightened a bit, though, and the START/STOP switch need to be replaced.

DSCF0626.JPG
DSCF0625.JPG

This little gear drive was sold as a root cutter in Japan

as was this Zenoah (Redmax)
140_4030.jpg

Latest posts

Back