New Oregon Narrow Kerf Chain and SpeedCut Guide Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I know they are. They are 3/8 low pro, .050 gauge, low kickback, and a specified number of drive links. But the exact Oregon model varies. I have seen 91PX, 91VG, embossed ties traps, '4-way' tie straps, drive links with/without holes, etc.

Philbert

Yes I know they are - but don't consumers deserve to know what they are buying?

It can't hurt much to include the "real" designation in small print on the package, in addition to the "consumer code".

I mostly want to know if the chains are different - sent a letter to Oregon to ask.
Response from Oregon is that the chains are the same (91PX in current 'S' packaging). The 'AdvanceCut' name and new packaging is just part of new branding / marketing of their products across a variety of dealer channels.

I was happy with the 'old' name and package; but then again, Blount is an $800 million company, with 60%+ of all saw chain sales world-wide, and I'm just Philbert . . .

Philbert

I know this is not the 0.325NK of the title of the thread here.
Look at the chain in the red package, I think I see dimpling on every other drive link.

I see that S chain and others with the lettering at the local hardware store. Not sure who buys it. It is cheaper to go to the Stihl dealer (some of which are also hardware stores that make chain loops) and have it made if not on the shelf. Maybe Menards, Home depot, Lowes are priced different, I do not think tractor supply is any bargain.

I know this is not the 0.325NK of the title of the thread here.
Look at the chain in the red package, I think I see dimpling on every other drive link.
I assume that you are referring to the 91PX chain in Post #111? This thread was originally posted to discuss new Oregon packaging and chain designations - I changed the title to reflect the narrow kerf (95VP and 95TXL) when those chains and the related (Micro-Lite) SpeedCut bars became the apparent focus.

The 'S' chains looked identical to me in the store, and the Oregon rep confirmed that. I see embossed tie straps ('LubriLink') on both; and low-kickback drive links (every other) with oil holes ('LubriWell') on both chains, stamped with the '91' designation.

It looks like we may be seeing a number of changes in the labeling and marketing of Oregon products. The trick will be to watch for any design or performance changes.

I know that @SawTroll (and others) would like to see full-chisel chain in Type 91 (3/8 low profile) and Type 95 (.325 narrow kerf) chains. I would like to see chipper chain re-introduced for cutting dirty wood.

Philbert

An update about that bar I got off ebay. I broke down two 56 dl loops and made up an 78 dl loop. This bar is the perfect length and width for 78 drive links. An 8 tooth drive sprocket could be used and the chain loop easily installed even with an outboard clutch. The chain seemed kind of sloppy in the slot of the bar. The bar seems to fit 0.058 gague drive links nicely. The Craftsman one the 0.058 drive links go into the slot but the chain won't turn, it is used. The drive links won't go into the Dolmar 0.050 bar pictured essentially at all. I took a picture so you can clearly see the 34 designating 0.058 and the necked down symbol associated with NK chain that is 0.050 in 0.325 pitch. The scond picture shows how much shorter 78 dl in 0.325 is compared to 72 dl in 3/8. Both called 20 inches. The thicknesses I measured are Craftsman 0.170,Oregon 0.182, Dolmar 0.175

34.drive.links.in.NK.bar.JPG 3.bars.JPG

Here is a YouTube video, posted on another site, showing 2 Oregon narrow kerf bars and chains competing against a full kerf STIHL .325 bar and chain. Note that the new 95TXL chain is slightly faster in 'transverse' 'bias' cutting (at an angle), which is what you might do making a face cut.

Philbert

I'm sure they wanted something that wouldn't just buzz right through no matter what chain was on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I bought three of the new Oregon 95TXL chains from Loggerchain (don't know if I can say that but that is what I did). I tried one of them yesterday in some two month old nasty dirty pine that we were removing from a senior citizen's property. The tree company she contracted just left them! I don't do timed cuts or anything but this chain is definitely smoother and seems to stay sharp longer than the the WoodlandPro NK chain I got from Bailey's. I think it is better than the older Made in Canada NK chain they used to carry and I really liked that chain. It holds up better than the newer WoodlandPro NK chain Made in China and this was really dirty wood! However, the Oregon chain is slightly more expensive than the WoodlandPro but it is Made in Canada, at least for now! I also have one of the "hybrid" Oregon chains from Lowes that appears to be very similar but I haven't compared cutting with the new versus the "hybrid." On my Echo CS-500P with an 18" bar and chain it is almost as fast as my Stihl MS362 with semi-chisel chain and a 20" bar in 16" wood. I know I am not comparing apples to apples, but for smaller wood, I prefer the 50cc saw as it is significantly lighter and cuts almost as fast with this newly designed chain. Since I am retired, don't do this for a living, and I am anything but an expert I only know what seems to work and I really do appreciate all the helpful insights I get off this site. Now if I could just get my 500P and 362 to stop vapor locking in these 95+ temps we have been having all would be good! I use 93 octane non-ethanol with Red Armor mix at 50:1. Not trying to hijack the thread but any thoughts would be appreciated. (I cut and split wood for our church's firewood mission and another guy and I do about 40 - 50 cords a year.)

Back