Oregon Kinetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless they stand on top of their Chi-com sources- it will be the same senario all over again. Chi-com sources have a real bad habit of switching out materials from that which is spec-ed if you don't.

Rack and pinion are usa made and those seem to be the trouble areas on most of the copies.

Little bit of background info on the guy who is in the videos and did a lot of the testing. Also addresses the "What about tuff to split wood?" from all the doubting Tomasses.

All these kinetic splitters seem like they are trying to build a better mousetrap.

I'll stick with a hydraulic horizontal splitter with a 4 way and log lift.

Thanks you

They look like they would be the ticket if they hold up decent. Anybody know MSRP on one?

Online I saw the Speeco for 3k

They really seem to be targeting the commercial market with these units. Funny to me how they mention how much simpler they are than a hydraulic splitter and then they want three times what a hydraulic unit costs. It doesn't cost them more to build the kinetic splitters and may even cost them less per unit.

I like that with the safety switch. That is the main reason why I would never get a super splitter. It always worried me that I would put my hand in the wrong spot. How does it hold up?

I like that with the safety switch. That is the main reason why I would never get a super splitter. It always worried me that I would put my hand in the wrong spot.

Over ninety percent wood the wood I split is on a kinetic. I love the height, the rhythm, the clean splits, and built in (optional cost) table. They sip gas, etc., etc. And they are terribly dangerous. So is your car...

The finger thing...that is operator error. That is not the splitter. If you put your fingers in harms way and the splitter is faster than your fingers...it still is not the splitter at fault.

The speed/danger does factor in however, but in another way that few, if any, have mentioned.

If the piece does not split, but instead...rides up the wedge on a knot, or angled cut,...it is going to summersault, and come backwards, in a blink. I have had a twenty five pound piece or more go two feet high and about cold cock me with the stored energy of both flywheels. One came back and cracked the fiberglass cover. I've learned to keep my body and head upright, away from the vertical plane of the beam. Too also read the wood and focus on the tip of the wedge when initiating a split, being prepared to disengage the rack, by pushing the handle down. That in itself prevents most summersaulting. The machines are faster than box store hydraulics, but not so fast you can not stop the ram. And lastly, because of the speed/energy, I do not try to stop or block the wood once it is moving. Most of the time, a kinetic will cut a knot cleanly, without any problem.

Hydraulic two-way splitters often push pieces up the wedge, in fact, all the time, but the result is very different because of the speed and "stored energy" behind the kinetics ram. With hydraulic, you stop, reposition, try again. After a kinetic tries rearranging the teeth in your jaw from one side to the other, you might pause before picking the piece up off the ground and resplitting.

The other thing is, the kinetics are truly one person machines.

Kinetics are fun to use, easy on the back, and the splits pile up quickly. They also require your full attention aside from wearing radio head muffs.

I totally understand what your saying. It's not guns that kill people, people kill people. Same thing with kinectic splitters. Just because I put my hand in the way and get it chopped off, doesn't mean it's the splitters fault. It's my fault for being a $#@$ idiot. I was thinking I would like one. But considering the logs can still get thrown, I'm going to stay away. Stay far away. I'm going to stick with hydraulic log splitters. Very few ways of getting hurt on a hydraulic log splitter.
Over ninety percent wood the wood I split is on a kinetic. I love the height, the rhythm, the clean splits, and built in (optional cost) table. They sip gas, etc., etc. And they are terribly dangerous. So is your car...

The finger thing...that is operator error. That is not the splitter. If you put your fingers in harms way and the splitter is faster than your fingers...it still is not the splitter at fault.

The speed/danger does factor in however, but in another way that few, if any, have mentioned.

If the piece does not split, but instead...rides up the wedge on a knot, or angled cut,...it is going to summersault, and come backwards, in a blink. I have had a twenty five pound piece or more go two feet high and about cold cock me with the stored energy of both flywheels. One came back and cracked the fiberglass cover. I've learned to keep my body and head upright, away from the vertical plane of the beam. Too also read the wood and focus on the tip of the wedge when initiating a split, being prepared to disengage the rack, by pushing the handle down. That in itself prevents most summersaulting. The machines are faster than box store hydraulics, but not so fast you can not stop the ram. And lastly, because of the speed/energy, I do not try to stop or block the wood once it is moving. Most of the time, a kinetic will cut a knot cleanly, without any problem.

Hydraulic two-way splitters often push pieces up the wedge, in fact, all the time, but the result is very different because of the speed and "stored energy" behind the kinetics ram. With hydraulic, you stop, reposition, try again. After a kinetic tries rearranging the teeth in your jaw from one side to the other, you might pause before picking the piece up off the ground and resplitting.

The other thing is, the kinetics are truly one person machines.

Kinetics are fun to use, easy on the back, and the splits pile up quickly. They also require your full attention aside from wearing radio head muffs.

Keep in mind that hydraulic splitters hurt and kill people too.

Worst stuff seems to happen with one operator and nobody else around and second is multiple people working around/feeding a hydraulic splitter and the guy running the handle simply isn't wired into the brains of everyone helping.

Any machine that makes work easier, including the simple axe, has inherent dangers that need to be understood by the operator. You have to work safe no matter what you use.

After having a Super Split for 6 years I could never go back to hydraulic.

I've had a few pieces jump up, but never one fly off the splitter and hit me.

Sooner or later we all experience the flying boxcar, or in the case of manual splitting , shrapnel/ flying wedge or separated axe/maul head. Pentup energy on a hydro unit can be quit spectacular. Shrapnel from an improperly maintained steel wedge or mall face can be deadly.

I talked to Oregon Rep and this product isn't being offered anymore. At least it isn't offered to me. There maybe a few floating around out there yet.

I agree with ya Philbert. I am just repeating what he told me. Isnt the first time ive been told a fib and wont be the last I promise ya. He said Oregon owns and makes Speeco products and I am guessing that Speeco was the maker of the kinetic splitter.

I think he mean it isn't being offered 'yet'. They posted the video on June 13th of this year, just over a month ago. A week ago they replied to a comment on that video saying the website for the splitter was still in development.

After the disastrous first round Speeco had, I'm surprised to see it return.

It would have to be a completely redesigned machine and a good move not to put the Speeco name on it. Oregon and Woods have a good rep, maybe this wont hurt em much?

Back