Work in progress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started on another mess in the clear cut job.

Day 1:
After an hour of mowing weeds/grass with a chainsaw and tossing dead fall on a pile I reached a big down tree; turned out it was only the top half of a really big one.

begin_zpssq3uqscj.jpg

I was surprised to find that the log was good wood so I cut it to 12" rounds and dropped it off at Mike's on my way home. He has a smallshop stove so wants it cut short.

Ended the day with more mowing/brushing:

end1_zpsinhdirum.jpg

Day 2:

More mowing/brushing then had to fall the rest of that tree that was still standing. Cut/stacked all he brush from it with day ending:

end2_zpsti8jfpaz.jpg

Problem with the felling. It was around 36" diameter wit a bad lean. Had one heavy branch way up that was half broken off - widow maker. It would be right over my head when making the back cut. I hadn't planned on any felling so left the 441/32" at home. Had to make do with 361/28". and my longest bar was a 28". Thankfully the trunk was still good solid wood with no rot.

Undercut went fine with an acceptable notch, back cut was badly beavered due to the short bar and some cleance problems.

Usually I would have taken a "clean-up" slice off the stump to hide the evidence but left it as is.

widow_zpsnsublgam.jpg

That stem laying across it was the widow maker. I left as soon as the tree started to move and was around 20' away when the mess hit the ground.

That widown maker is the chunk seen laying on top of the log in the end of day 2 pic.

Not much of any interest but there haven't been many pictures lately so...I'll add more as I progress through that clump of mess. Two trees still standing, one small sapling growing off any old stump and another big down deadfall to go plus all the weeds/grass/deadfall crap.

Been working off and on at that project. Just about have that area cleaned up. Lots of big brush piles. Pyromania will kick in next spring!

brush%20piles_zpsnr0zjsje.jpg

4 piles showing, there is another behnd the truck and 3 more huge ones to the right of the trees.

Fell the remnant of what had been one stem of a two stemmer, actually justone big branch off that second stem.

down_zpsqlytb9mb.jpg

Did some brushing and bucking of limbs on the right side until the throttle linkage of the MS310 (my main saw for bucking small stuff) came undone. Decided that since it was already hot (uppor 80s) already I would quit at 10:30 and take saw to the dealer.

end_zpsa48sf4q6.jpg

Back