Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So......I'm putting together a 621 for a friend.....he likes his Silver Tops...spent the afternoon taking apart, cleaning and evaluating the misc. bits. Piston was passable but had a few carbon wear streaks......rings free...measured only 0.001" wear or so. Pretty much decided on just new Caber rings and call it good. But......then I looked at my NOS 621 piston stash.....a few to choose from....hmmmm.....had one NOS piston but no wristpin.......well I could use the old wristpin....like the piston, not perfect but serviceable. Then I went looking for a NOS recoil screen.....old one was dented....I hate that......knew I had some...somewhere....while looking for them I came across a bag of NOS wristpins!! Part # and measuring confirmed 601, 62 and 621 wristpins!!! Had 10. Didn't even know I had them. Next the saw had 4 wallered out screw holes......1 top cover, 1 recoil cover and both spike mounting holes....so I use steel inserts that you bore 17/64 and tap 8mm...then the inserts have a screwdriver slot in one end....screw them in with red locktite...then your regular recoil screws thread right in......the only place I know of to get them is a hardware store about 60 miles away.......had 4, the drill and tap....everything seems to be falling into place one this one.....gonna be a pretty nice saw.
One thing I found was odd......the carb to isolation block gasket was not like any I have ever seen before....did not look homemade but was a total different shape than the usual and made out of a rubber like material....I'll get pics tomorrow.

Ebay......people never cease to amaze me......so this guy puts up a parts lot of NOS Jonsereds parts...6 day auction but there is other stuff in there too.....near as could tell a Super EZ nos cyl, some Homelite packets, some kind of Husky top cover and two or three other items that I have no clue...lawn mower parts maybe. He didn't know what anything was...there was a 621 crank, two 621 cyl, 1 621 piston, half dozen oil pumps, 4 621 recoil screens, 1 621 clutch cover, 2 70E/90 recoil screens, 621 recoil cover, 621 condenser, 3-4 white boxes perhaps points. Starting $99 or BIN for $149 plus $15 shipping.
So I messaged him about the crank....needed to ID it for certain...he gets back to me asking where to look....I tell him....next thing I know the auction has ended "Error in listing".....but he gets back to me with the crank number I told him to look for.."How much the crank worth to you?" I go back to the original listing.....didn't want the bulk of the stuff.....just the 621 P&C, extra cyl and the crank. So I said "$100 plus shipping......nope...said I could watch for them and they would all be on separately.....LOL....I don't need them that bad.....thought I made a very reasonable offer since he doesn't know what any of it goes to....and I didn't tell him what the crank went to or how ID any of it...doubt I will bid on any of it.....twit.....LOL!!!

So......I'm putting together a 621 for a friend.....he likes his Silver Tops...spent the afternoon taking apart, cleaning and evaluating the misc. bits. Piston was passable but had a few carbon wear streaks......rings free...measured only 0.001" wear or so. Pretty much decided on just new Caber rings and call it good. But......then I looked at my NOS 621 piston stash.....a few to choose from....hmmmm.....had one NOS piston but no wristpin.......well I could use the old wristpin....like the piston, not perfect but serviceable. Then I went looking for a NOS recoil screen.....old one was dented....I hate that......knew I had some...somewhere....while looking for them I came across a bag of NOS wristpins!! Part # and measuring confirmed 601, 62 and 621 wristpins!!! Had 10. Didn't even know I had them. Next the saw had 4 wallered out screw holes......1 top cover, 1 recoil cover and both spike mounting holes....so I use steel inserts that you bore 17/64 and tap 8mm...then the inserts have a screwdriver slot in one end....screw them in with red locktite...then your regular recoil screws thread right in......the only place I know of to get them is a hardware store about 60 miles away.......had 4, the drill and tap....everything seems to be falling into place one this one.....gonna be a pretty nice saw.
One thing I found was odd......the carb to isolation block gasket was not like any I have ever seen before....did not look homemade but was a total different shape than the usual and made out of a rubber like material....I'll get pics tomorrow.

Holy cow Robin...TEN NOS wrist pins for the 621???! I couldn't even find ONE when I was rebuilding my Husky 2100....lol. I use those same inserts because they are available in metric locally. That sounds like E-Z Lok brand. They also have SAE external threads(on some of their line), while maintaining the metric internal threads. Helps the US guys out that don't have metric taps. There are a LOT of insert companies out there. I think TimeSerts are the best....they actually countersink on a insert lip. But they purposely use really odd/rare taps for the external threads of their inserts....makes you come to them for that and the install tool. You could easily have $80 into their setup and just a few inserts of the same size. And then the next size you repeat the process all over again.

If I had a business doing this day in and day out, I'd use the TimeSerts......but for occasional insert work, the E-Z Lok's are fine for me. Tim linked me to another insert that after you tap out your hole and screw it in to the depth you want, you drive in these little lugs around the insert that are attached and they lock the insert. That eliminates the red Loctite, but I'm not sure how the heck you could ever get them out if you had to.

Ebay......people never cease to amaze me......so this guy puts up a parts lot of NOS Jonsereds parts...6 day auction but there is other stuff in there too.....near as could tell a Super EZ nos cyl, some Homelite packets, some kind of Husky top cover and two or three other items that I have no clue...lawn mower parts maybe. He didn't know what anything was...there was a 621 crank, two 621 cyl, 1 621 piston, half dozen oil pumps, 4 621 recoil screens, 1 621 clutch cover, 2 70E/90 recoil screens, 621 recoil cover, 621 condenser, 3-4 white boxes perhaps points. Starting $99 or BIN for $149 plus $15 shipping.
So I messaged him about the crank....needed to ID it for certain...he gets back to me asking where to look....I tell him....next thing I know the auction has ended "Error in listing".....but he gets back to me with the crank number I told him to look for.."How much the crank worth to you?" I go back to the original listing.....didn't want the bulk of the stuff.....just the 621 P&C, extra cyl and the crank. So I said "$100 plus shipping......nope...said I could watch for them and they would all be on separately.....LOL....I don't need them that bad.....thought I made a very reasonable offer since he doesn't know what any of it goes to....and I didn't tell him what the crank went to or how ID any of it...doubt I will bid on any of it.....twit.....LOL!!!

Got wind of what he had somehow and changed boats midstream........like a shark smelling blood. I don't normally mind deals like that where you have to buy unnecessary junk to score some really nice NOS stuff. You did make a reasonable offer...he just got wind of what he had somehow.

Kevin

No problem...professionally, I run about 1 1/4 out for Low and 3/4 out for High. But that's pretty lean for a homeowner/firewood gatherer. And you gotta make sure you don't have any air leaks anywhere runnin' that lean.....plus a really good syn oil mix like Stihl Ultra.

Kevin

Really nice thread, Robin......reading it with interest because I wanna get my 621 going soon. Where are you getting gaskets for it?

Kevin

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I have all the gaskets in stock.....they are NOS...I pick up any I can off ebay when ever they appear, sometimes in sets or in groups of other parts.

Hi,
I recently picked up a nice working jonsereds 111s, looks like it may not have seen much work. All is pretty good except the oil cap is a bit worn and it doesn't have a bucking spike. I don't seem to be able to get parts for either, however I was wondering if anyone who has a 111s would be able to trace or photocopy the spike so I could get one made or has one for sale?
uc

uc

cheers,
Angus - Australia

Nice find! Oh and welcome to the forum. Quite a few owners of that saw here and hopefully, they will be able to help you with at least a tracing of a dawg. All the J'reds I use for work have been fitted with custom dawgs of my own design. I find their factory bucking dawgs to be inadequate for fallin'. I did buy a custom pair for the 910 off of Ebay that are decent.

Looks like something is going on that's funky with that one bar nut and the washer? Seems a shame and a waste to have that tiny bar on a saw of that potential.

Kevin

Recently acquired ownership (from a friend) of my 111S after sitting on my shelf for years....
here is the dawg pix Scale it down to fit the holes on the saw(which is 114.77mm) and you're good to go. This IS a 111S dawg. The scanner pix is over 100% yield. Your screen/printer may vary.

13408-1470326274-cb98e4bd24d3024f4684ac03974edc4e.jpg

Robin and Eric would know....if the hole pattern is unique to the 111S or it's shared with another J'red like the 80/90? If it's shared with the 80/90, I can send a tracing. I think there's just one dawg on the case...it wasn't set-up for a dawg on the clutch cover.

Kevin

Robin and Eric would know....if the hole pattern is unique to the 111S or it's shared with another J'red like the 80/90? If it's shared with the 80/90, I can send a tracing. I think there's just one dawg on the case...it wasn't set-up for a dawg on the clutch cover.

Kevin

Nope.....like everything else...unique to the 111s....

Back