Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not mind having that baby as my only grinder. Almost 70K, WOW!
Its got enough power but grinders really matter what your jobs are, if your doing several stumps in one area that one will do great. My work mine does great.I might have 10 here then drive 200 yards 6 more and so on. I have my first few stumps ground before that is off the trailer ! I had a walk along and I'm not interested. There is drawbacks to all of them mine can't reach 1% of the 700 stumps per good year without hooking up the skid steer. I usually just sub the 7 stumps I can't reach as they are not worth my time!

Just fishing for some more opinions.
Facts: look at what you need from a grinder. Are you going to do 500 stumps a year or more ? If so it is likely in your best interest to get minimum 60 hp diesel. Are you good at backing a short trailer, if not don't buy a tow behind. Its simple let your work decide the route you take. All of them have their benefits and setbacks.

Facts: look at what you need from a grinder. Are you going to do 500 stumps a year or more ? If so it is likely in your best interest to get minimum 60 hp diesel. Are you good at backing a short trailer, if not don't buy a tow behind. Its simple let your work decide the route you take. All of them have their benefits and setbacks.
How many hours can you expect out of a Kubota turbo diesel (44hp). looking at the Carlton 4012 or the 5014, but still open for suggestions.

Well hours depends on maintenance you know? I expect to get 2000 hours or better but when your busy and pushing sometimes maintenance is not on your mind! You must be a grease fanatic the dirt and dust gets everywhere. I bought a good cartridge respirator for the dry season as then the dust is like fog! Mine has 600 hours and it averages around seven stumps per hour mixed size or right at 4000 stumps so far, at average of 15 per stump so around 60 k in 4 or 5 years and now is profiting even after two clutches and many sets of teeth!

If you need to get into any back yards you def need a self propelled

A 252 or similar machine will grind a stump but is not enough any of the big badass machines are not cost effective for you so buy a carlton diesel 40-50 hp n you will grind n grind n grind end of story.
Keep in mind what this machine does it beats itself to death every day of its life it vibrates shakes n shimmies don't use it like a 2 dollar whore and it will last longer. oil changes timing belt air cleaner inspect your belts grease, wash it down to get all the hidden trapped mud it will all save you in the long run.

Keep a dedicated tool box with the machine teeth pockets bolts belts tools cheater bar can of either for the day you forget to fuel it up or it won't start when cold.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If you need to get into any back yards you def need a self propelled

A 252 or similar machine will grind a stump but is not enough any of the big badass machines are not cost effective for you so buy a carlton diesel 40-50 hp n you will grind n grind n grind end of story.
Keep in mind what this machine does it beats itself to death every day of its life it vibrates shakes n shimmies don't use it like a 2 dollar whore and it will last longer. oil changes timing belt air cleaner inspect your belts grease it will all save you in the long run.

I somewhat agree but I get my truck in most backyards here. I can remove and replace fence ya know ! If all I was doing was backyards I agree with you 100%

I still gotta say nothing like shaft drive!

Haha tell one of these rich bastards you are gonna drive a truck on there lawn see what happens. Plus we do a lot of stuff a pickup would never get to. Then again I stick a 40k pound truck where it don't belong so who am I to talk haha

I tell them all the time they can pay 15 per stump or 200 their choice :p

Of course I have a minimum too hahah love those one stump gigs:laughing:

We've got the Rayco RG45-R, turbo diesel, 4 wheel drive with wireless remote, eats big stumps without blinking.
We've also got a small 25hp stump humper that gets anywhere, I can get that thing up and down a flight of stairs

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mine has 600 hours and it averages around seven stumps per hour mixed size or right at 4000 stumps so far, at average of 15 per stump so around 60 k in 4 or 5 years and now is profiting even after two clutches and many sets of teeth!
I did 60K in three months..., think it was 178 hours on the machine

Stump humper
bb525dec29690cacd2dbf44bb9874aa8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Back