Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Link to 2 big fires going now

First is N of Big Sur - Last big fire was Basins 08. 162,000 acres
http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/threads/53584-CA-BEU-Soberanes

2nd is the Sand fire on the Angeles NF. Right off of I-5 & Hwy 14
Huge fire Hx here. Station 09 was 160,000+ acres

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/threads/53589-CA-LAC-ANF-Sand

Both ripping overnight and this morning.
cb5f67c6e76ba7fd895fedfddf6859f6.jpg

Basins fire from 08

I worked the Sobranes Fire yesterday helping to evacuate Boy Scouts and their belongings from Pico Blanco Scout Reservation 4 miles passed the end of Palo Colorado Canyon Rd. I was with the last group of people to leave and found out an hour later that 30 minutes after I left the fire slopped over the road. I was trying to get a pic of the C130 MAFFS or the DC10 VLAT but I all got were glimpse as they over flew me.
The Cal Fire Captain I was working with had been working on a hand crew the previous day but had to abandon the line because too many trees were falling around them. We have been getting 1 or 2 trees falling every night this summer.
BTW I left my house at midnight Friday and returned late yesterday afternoon. I got stuck in traffic backed up behind a crash. The traffic was stop and go and at one point I shifted the truck into park to stretch and opened my eyes to find my lane had moved 75'. I had fallen asleep for 2 or 3 seconds!

I worked with a USFS safety officer (trainee) and two falling bosses. I would not have been able to communicate and keep up to speed with them without Avenza maps. Thanks Nate.

I also need a new GPS. I didn't realize how well the new (Garmin) units work in the understory.

I have a very cool video I took on my iPhone 6S of a redwood tree falling due to fire damage. I just happened to be videoing when it came down. If only I new how to post the vid.

I would not have been able to communicate and keep up to speed with them without Avenza maps. Thanks Nate.

You're quite welcome! We're super into that app now and pretty much depend on it. I even use it bossing dozers, because 10m accuracy is good enough for that kind of work. We had a hot one last week where two separate flanks a half-mile apart were following my mapbook in Avenza at the same time and we caught it at less than 200 acres in spite of thunder cell activity flipping the wind back and forth across every line we cut. It's a great tool.

I have a very cool video I took on my iPhone 6S of a redwood tree falling due to fire damage. I just happened to be videoing when it came down. If only I new how to post the vid.

Log in to arboristsite on Safari, and choose "Upload a File" bellow the text box you type in. That will take you to the folder the video will be in. Then you pick it, it uploads, and you post the post with it in it.

Word is Avenza is Beta testing a pro version, the free will only let you keep 3-4 self imported maps and unlimited Avenza store bought maps.

Back