Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always something. Went to put on the new to me (free) bias ply tires on my trailer to limp it back to the cabin. Guess what? Rims were right pattern but small center hole. No go. Axle is bent so it's sitting right where it's at until I get the new one. Enough dicking around. I was planning on replacing it this fall at the cabin but I'll order it Friday and pick it up next Friday.

>It's always something. :yes:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned because of the 800 some pages....

Every Spring power companies trim trees, Craigslist has posts for the logs that were left behind. Leave pull tab adverts anywhere you can... All high foot traffic stores and places where chainsaws are sold or farm supply stores.

Leave an add on Craigslist for people to drop off wood, many will.

MSU Surplus Store in the Lansing area has free lumber drop off... It's nice having pine studs for fire starter....
What's going on the other Mr. Black :hi:.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be heading down there tomorrow:). I'm just joking as I'm set for a little while :laugh:.
Hope all is well with you over there.

Nice looking saw, it looks brand new. Good wood to. I guess you don't need a lot of fire wood down there.

with 7 fireplaces, all wood burners, i need a lot of firewood, amberg... i have a lot of oak. also, i have a camp fire going just about every day i am working outside... even if 99F out! ;) and i burn up a lot of oak. i have a lot of firewood compared to most. down here in my area 1/4 cord would be a lot of wood to many. about the only people who have more than me sell it commercially. all my urban logging and CSS is for my personal use. don't sell any of it. here and at farm, i have about 4-5 cords on going... i am never out of wood. plenty for my needs... also a pile of mesquite and plenty more where it came from, too.

the saw had developed a bar stud nut issue. not sure how? but most likely related to last use at farm as i ran into some stuff. wood issues, etc. since new and on some AS'r advice... that echoed mine, pun intended... i took it in since it was in warranty. what a headache! immediately told me no warranty since i had tightened it too much. that dint set well! :mad: i dint like their soultions to fix, so i went and got it and fixed it myself. :) OEM perfect! what u see is how it went in, although after i brought it home looking like this:
P1010010.JPG

but, while frustrating at the time, the dealer warranty thing... it worked out ok and i learned a lot about my saw that i did not know and can now better take car of it... :)

No sawing involved!!!! I'd leave it there!
I was thinking the same thing LOL.
I'll share a little story about an incident regarding just that yesterday when the work is finished I will get some pics:).
Goodnight guys, I am finally all caught up in here, it's been a while and you guys been busy.

I'll share a little story about an incident regarding just that yesterday when the work is finished I will get some pics:).
Goodnight guys, I am finally all caught up in here, it's been a while and you guys been busy.

LOL - yes... i see u been reading some older posts...

When we have storms. I put the word out when I have trees that have fell on my fences. Friend ya some local livestock farmers & you'll be set.
Too bad I'm not a lot closer to you CB.
Welcome to AS :).
You have also found one of the best threads on the internet, enjoy :hi:.

A little update to the storm cleanup scrounging.

We got everything cleaned up along with dumping a few more that were suspect in the immediate yard.

Took about 7 hrs on Saturday. We were shot.

Anywho.......If someone had ambition there is a BUNCH of wood to be had in town. People pull the limbs and trunk sections to the edge of the street for the city to pick up.

One could drive along, zip logs up on the curb, and load the pickup in 10-15 minutes. Move half a block and rinse/repeat.

Absolute shame really.

A little update to the storm cleanup scrounging.

We got everything cleaned up along with dumping a few more that were suspect in the immediate yard.

Took about 7 hrs on Saturday. We were shot.

Anywho.......If someone had ambition there is a BUNCH of wood to be had in town. People pull the limbs and trunk sections to the edge of the street for the city to pick up.

One could drive along, zip logs up on the curb, and load the pickup in 10-15 minutes. Move half a block and rinse/repeat.

Absolute shame really.
Sounds like you guys got hit pretty bad out there. I didn't get a chance to check out the link yet to look at the carnage.
Glad you guys are all ok though.

I'm surprised BL isn't up there with the curb scrounging tractor and the echo, sounds just like his type of action :yes:.

LOL - yes... i see u been reading some older posts...
Yes BL, I have neglected this awesome little corner of AS, one of the staples to a hard core scrounger like us:D.
I'm back now and promise to do better, sorry to let you all down, looks like you've done just f8ne without me though :laugh:.

What's up guys.
Wow svk, it's always something:(.

svk pull that thing back out and grind the blade down a little on each side and throw it back on there.
When you have it out again, blow that beast out, you'll lose about 1/2 lbs of weight on that old girl:).
My first thought was to file the blade, but in the rare instance the coil was bad I wouldn't have an option to return.

So I need to drive 20 minutes to the hardware store for a 5 cent part LOL

And yes, she is a greasy mess. I will clean that out but wanted to get it running before I start messing around. I bought the saw knowing it had ignition issues so I haven't seen it run yet.

On the good side, after my trailer and saw repair attempts were foiled I biked my daughters to the park and then to DQ so it was a good night.

with 7 fireplaces, all wood burners, i need a lot of firewood, amberg... i have a lot of oak. also, i have a camp fire going just about every day i am working outside... even if 99F out! ;) and i burn up a lot of oak. i have a lot of firewood compared to most. down here in my area 1/4 cord would be a lot of wood to many. about the only people who have more than me sell it commercially. all my urban logging and CSS is for my personal use. don't sell any of it. here and at farm, i have about 4-5 cords on going... i am never out of wood. plenty for my needs... also a pile of mesquite and plenty more where it came from, too.

the saw had developed a bar stud nut issue. not sure how? but most likely related to last use at farm as i ran into some stuff. wood issues, etc. since new and on some AS'r advice... that echoed mine, pun intended... i took it in since it was in warranty. what a headache! immediately told me no warranty since i had tightened it too much. that dint set well! :mad: i dint like their soultions to fix, so i went and got it and fixed it myself. :) OEM perfect! what u see is how it went in, although after i brought it home looking like this:
View attachment 516195

but, while frustrating at the time, the dealer warranty thing... it worked out ok and i learned a lot about my saw that i did not know and can now better take car of it... :)
I keep telling myself I don't need a top handle ;)

Question for Mike
How you doing with the 029 to 039 conversion?
Hope it's going better than mine did.
I'll never do another, what a turd that turned into.
Just finished the Hus 350 rebuild, new bearings and seals,new piston and a metal clamp on the intake bootie.
I used a CV joint boot clamp from NAPA ,about $1.50. My son, the auto mech, poped it on easy, he does them all the time.
Will it run? don't know, afraid to try, the squish is kind of tight. Pulls hard, OK without the plug. Maybe too much oil in the cylinder.
I have another 350 to rebuild, hope it goes quicker. Now that I know what I'm doing.
My daughter called, the beech in the front yard split and took out the hedge, no big hurry. its not blocking anything.
She said there was a loud noise in the back yard, couldn't see anything, there's some big oak back there.
Looks like a scrounge coming up.

Yes BL, I have neglected this awesome little corner of AS, one of the staples to a hard core scrounger like us:D.
I'm back now and promise to do better, sorry to let you all down, looks like you've done just f8ne without me though :laugh:.

yeah, chipster... so u think... I have heard on the grapevine... the AS couldn't get along well without you... lol ;)

good thing my tales are not tied to work being finished... as it never ends... LOL only the day ends...

so it goes...

Sounds like you guys got hit pretty bad out there. I didn't get a chance to check out the link yet to look at the carnage.
Glad you guys are all ok though. I'm surprised BL isn't up there with the curb scrounging tractor and the echo, sounds just like his type of action :yes:.

chipster, maybe you can go over and get it for me... I will then get up there ASAP ok?.... :laughing:

Question for Mike
How you doing with the 029 to 039 conversion?
Hope it's going better than mine did.
I'll never do another, what a turd that turned into.
Just finished the Hus 350 rebuild, new bearings and seals,new piston and a metal clamp on the intake bootie.
I used a CV joint boot clamp from NAPA ,about $1.50. My son, the auto mech, poped it on easy, he does them all the time.
Will it run? don't know, afraid to try, the squish is kind of tight. Pulls hard, OK without the plug. Maybe too much oil in the cylinder.
I have another 350 to rebuild, hope it goes quicker. Now that I know what I'm doing.
My daughter called, the beech in the front yard split and took out the hedge, no big hurry. its not blocking anything.
She said there was a loud noise in the back yard, couldn't see anything, there's some big oak back there.
Looks like a scrounge coming up.
Push through with the conversion, I've heard your difficulties with it and I wouldn't do one, but you are so close. The 310's and 390's are a great saws as is the 290, but why have the smallest saw in that family(the 290). They respond very well to a muffler mod, so well you will be amazed.
I have sold dozens of that family of saw and they are solid performers. For some reason the 310 is the one I have preferred most stock. I had one that would pull a 24 " B&C better than expected that was all stock, I was always afraid it was going to blow up it had so much power lol.
Here's a picture of one of the many I have owned.
The 350 is a great saw as well. I'll get you a few pictures of my 345 in a red wrapper with a straight handle later;).20151218_214434.jpg

Back