Help a newb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all

Want to get into climbing, and need a little help.
Does this set up look correct?
I don't have a bridge so I'm trying to set this harness up correctly
But it just seems aweful crowded once in the tree

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 100
Looks good to me. Biners are opposite and opposing. A spliced eye on the end of your climbing line would help clean it up a little. But I climbed like that for quite a while. A saddle with a bridge would have one less d ring. With Ddrt that's about as compact as you're going to get without a spliced eye. Oh yeah, you could use a Hitchclimber pulley. That way your termination end would be clipped into the Hitchclimber pulley. It would place your termination end higher and it can hang up on top of your friction hitch and affect it. But a spliced eye stops that. Attached is some pics of VT, Hitchclimber Pulley, and spliced eye.

Attachments

• 20160717_222257.jpg
    20160717_222257.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160717_222249.jpg
    20160717_222249.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160717_222309.jpg
    20160717_222309.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for your reply!!
Could I just add a carabiner to either the termination end or the hitch end, to offset them?

You can. But it will be one more link to watch and one more link in the system that could fail or accidentally open. Simple is better. What you have looks fine to me. A Hitchclimber pulley would be the next step in cleaning it up. That's just a micro pulley with 3 attachment holes. I won't climb without one.

Hey, did you buy the entry level rope kit from Wesspur? That looks very familiar. I bought it and upgraded my rope to 16 strand Hawkeye and bought a Buckingham Rebellion saddle from Treestuff, it's so much better than what that kit came with.

Looks good to me too.. Since you are a starter, just be careful while using them.. Make sure that it has the strength to hold you.

Hey, did you buy the entry level rope kit from Wesspur? That looks very familiar. I bought it and upgraded my rope to 16 strand Hawkeye and bought a Buckingham Rebellion saddle from Treestuff, it's so much better than what that kit came with.

Yes, I did......have a tree to take down, and I've always wanted to learn to climb.

Taking my time and trying to be extra careful with learning.

Just bought a Hitchclimber and going to try it out this weekend

You can. But it will be one more link to watch and one more link in the system that could fail or accidentally open. Simple is better. What you have looks fine to me. A Hitchclimber pulley would be the next step in cleaning it up. That's just a micro pulley with 3 attachment holes. I won't climb without one.

What length and diam. friction hitch do you use for your VT.......10 mm diam and 30 length?

Sorry I didn't see your reply til now. I use several different cords. Right now I'm using the newer Bee Line with spliced eyes. 30" and 10mm. The 10mm grabs a little too good sometimes. It can be stiff to move sometimes until seated good. I also use 8mm. It seems to work smoother but takes a little closer watch when ascending to make sure it grabs when I stop and hang. Have you taken your tree down yet?

I did.......learned ALOT!!!.....went pretty smooth considering it was my first

Attachments

• IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4880.JPG
    IMG_4880.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4881.JPG
    IMG_4881.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 35
Really like the looks of this set up, with no slack whatsoever......

Back