Make beam from fallen red pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK_Michigan

Reaction score
Hi there. We have a red pine (~40' tall) that fell about 9 months ago. Rather than cut it up for campfire wood I was thinking of somehow using the wood as a beam in a building project. Doesn't necessarily have to be a structural beam - thinking of using it in more as a faux decorative beam in a cathedral ceiling in a screened in porch we are building. I'm looking to get ~20-25' beam.

Yesterday I trimmed off the branches with my chainsaw and made a fresh cut on the bottom end of the trunk. Also propped it up off the ground.

- Anyone out there have experience trying to dry pine for the purpose I described above? Is this even worth the effort?
- There are a number of portable sawmill services in our area. I haven't looked into pricing but wondering if people have advice on trying to cut myself vs. having a service do the milling on site for me?

Part of the cost for portable mill is travel and setup, and you only have one log.

If just decorative beam might want to see if anyone local has an alaskan type mini mill. Not much setup there and transport in your trunk or pickup bed.

Also realize pine can ooze pitch unless kiln dried.

One more thing, 25' is a LONG beam

I agree with mad professor. That will be a pretty heavy beam just for decorative purposes. You could always just shave all the bark off it with a draw knife and use it as a round beam. Very little cost and easy to do that way. Would still look really nice.

Thanks for all the info. I probably should have been more clear. I'm looking to get 20-25' of beams total. Longest section would be up to 15'.

I'm new to milling so that's great to know about the oozing pitch if we don't kiln dry.

My experience is, oozing pitch is the exception not the rule... It seems, once the beams sit for a time, the pitch seems to take a "set", where ever it is.

I mean it could happen, but it hasn't happened to me....yet.

SR

Red pine is structural and a wipe down with acetone will minimize resin somewhat. Many Mid Atlantic factories 100+ years old were built with these timbers. Beautiful wood in my book.

Back