stihl ms 260 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will have to try the muffler mod on my 026. If this turns out well the 361 is next.

I will try to get a timed cut on the same log to compare.

The newer 260s respond well to a muff mod as the 361 does also. Mod them both and you will be all grins!

I opened up my new 260 yesterday and it made a huge difference, not to mention it now sounds like a saw. I know its not a 361/440 but for a 12lb saw it is Bad a**. Is there any other mods available to squeeze out more power. I have the stock 18" bar on that it came with and can tell it would do better with a 16" but sometimes I need the extra length. What about a narrow kerf bar and chain?

You can try a .325, but I didn't find enough difference to switch. Mine run 16" 3/8 and sometimes a 20" for reach/limbing.

The next step in mods would be a woods port, by a well known builder. I think they run great with a modded muff so this may be overkill for ya....

So what I have found with 026's to make them rip mod the muffler, keep it simple,get rid of the base gasket replace it with a good liquid gasket like loc tite 518 , fatten up the low speed, narrow kerf chain, 8 tooth sprocket, sharpen the chain perfectly! Also for more jam increase the width of the exhaust port give it a nice funnel shape heading out to the muffler, remember to open up the exhaust gasket and muffler opening as well and clean up any flaws in your scavenger ports! I have been very happy with the gains this way and you can do it all at home by yourself

Back