Got a Little Cherry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a little pile of dead Cherry. Five rows on my trailer make a cord, got 2 1/2 rows, about half a cord today. Will get a solid cord and a half out of it. Did I mention it has been dead for about 5 years? See all the pretty green leaves? Guess what they are? Yep, Poison Ivy. Only good thing is I'm getting paid $500 to clean it up. Good thing it's a good friend, or no amount of money would have gotten me into that mess. I'll be swollen like a basket ball in a couple days, Joe.

this^^^^^^^^^

or cut the poison ivy at the base and let it sit for 2 years.

Ivy block? Too.late for me, I have this crap all over my forearms and everyday its a guess where it will be next. My fault was ignorance in not even thinking it was in these hedges. If I saw that and knew before hand that it was poison Ivy...... I second the gas, but raise ya with a case of beer.

Now that "WE" have it, what is the best way of treating it?

Once you have it, wash with water as hot as you can stand with out burning yourself. The hot water releases the Histamine in your skin and it won't itch at all. It takes your body about 8 hours to build the histamine back up. I found this by accident when I was a kid, because I took really hot showers. Later I found an article in a medical book that explained how the Histamine in your body worked. Since then I've talked to several doctors and they all said, Yes it's the Histamine that makes you itch, and yes the hot water releases it from your skin. Just a really hot shower, not scalding. I still take hot showers, they fog up the bathroom, and that's hot enough. Not crazy hot to hurt yourself, but not luke warm, Joe.

Once you have it, wash with water as hot as you can stand with out burning yourself. The hot water releases the Histamine in your skin and it won't itch at all. It takes your body about 8 hours to build the histamine back up. I found this by accident when I was a kid, because I took really hot showers. Later I found an article in a medical book that explained how the Histamine in your body worked. Since then I've talked to several doctors and they all said, Yes it's the Histamine that makes you itch, and yes the hot water releases it from your skin. Just a really hot shower, not scalding. I still take hot showers, they fog up the bathroom, and that's hot enough. Not crazy hot to hurt yourself, but not luke warm, Joe.
My wife and oldest son do that. You open the door to the bathroom and the steam just about knocks you over lol.

Rarefish is right about this. the Hot water will not do anything to get rid of the rash but it will damn sure bring you some relief. Get in the shower and put a concentrated stream of water on it that is as hot as you can possibly stand. It can feel good enough to buckle your knees. It will also keep the itch subdued for a while afterwards. Me and poison, we hate each other.

You should have taken the $500, bought 3 galons of fuel oil, 2 galons of gasoline, mixed it, dump it on the entire pile, light it and walk away. Keep the change.
Not good idea to burn PI.If you happen to breath in some of the smoke and it gets to your lungs you are in BIG trouble!It could kill you.

If you burn that cherry your going to get the poison ivy in your lungs. 500$ is not worth it.

Another one who does the hottest water you can stand. Now to help dry it out, although not popular, take a cotton ball soak in bleach and rub all over the blisters. If blisters are open it burns like hell but it works.

I forgot to take a picture today. I had my 8' dump trailer piled over the side boards. Cut the PI in 8 foot lengths and forked it on. When I dumped it on the farm it was a solid 5'X5'X8' brick of PI. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the area cleaned up tomorrow, Joe.

I forgot to take a picture today. I had my 8' dump trailer piled over the side boards. Cut the PI in 8 foot lengths and forked it on. When I dumped it on the farm it was a solid 5'X5'X8' brick of PI. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the area cleaned up tomorrow, Joe.
Wont that stuff reroot on the farm? What are you gonna do with it at that location? Is it your farm you just brought the hell plant to? (I guess it has to be, who would.let your dump that on their property)

Wow. I would have cut the vine and waited a year or two before going near that.

After being exposed to poison ivy you need to wash all your skin as if you have oil or grease on it - wash the same day and wash all your clothes. Good grease cutting soap and use a towel or rag to create friction to remove the oils. Anything that has the oil on it will need to be cleaned. All your tools and truck or you will keep spreading it.

I used to be immune to poison ivy, but lost it now. At least it doesn't get to vine out up north here. Tallest I have ever seen it was 24".

Latest posts

Back