Mill demonstration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scheffa

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wondering if any one here has done a demo with a chainsaw mill?

Our local cfa fire department has asked me to do a milling demonstration at a market they are holding this weekend and display some of the furniture I have made.

Just looking for tips or pointers people may have

Just wondering if any one here has done a demo with a chainsaw mill?
Our local cfa fire department has asked me to do a milling demonstration at a market they are holding this weekend and display some of the furniture I have made.
Just looking for tips or pointers people may have

I've demoed for a few different people and groups but not at a market.

Given it's a "market" situation it's preferable not to be just milling all the time and you'll want to stop and explain what you are doing. It would be good it you could go through the whole process in about 15 minutes.
ie
a bit about saws and mills setup
demo a couple of minutes of cutting (no more) then stop and talking to the punters for a bit
Use your props to illustrate what you are talking about.

Suggestions
You won't have time to cut up and show everything you want to show so consider bring along a few pre-cut samples and talk about how these were done
Demo using short/narrow rather than wide/longer logs. Lets face it, cutting the middle part of a log is about as exciting and watching grass grow.
Probably the most important part of a CSM demo is how to setup and start a log. As this takes time, setup and leave a couple of different logs in the setup position before they turn up so you can quickly refer to them during the 15 minutes.
Directly demoing a bit of "how not to do it" as well as "How to do it" is useful because otherwise they may go off thinking they can do it another way.
If you have a couple of mills on hand maybe set each one up differently so you can show what they're about.
Tips on sharpening and chain setup are invaluable - examples of different and blunt chains and different chain setups mounted on bars would be useful .
And last but not least give them the URL of this website - maybe have it printed on a flyer along with a pic of you cutting and your contact details ?

Good luck.

Good tips from BobL, especially the "how not to do it" part. Maybe explain some learning mistakes you made.

Use softwood for the demo, it'll go quicker.

Be sure to mention about chainsaw size, chain oil, and fuel. You shouldn't let someone go home thinking they can mill on a 40cc saw.

And maybe have the whole explanation/demo written in an outline so you don't skip or forget something. And you may want to rehearse once or twice beforehand to know about how long it takes.

And leave time for Q&A at the end (don't let people interrupt or it can go on too long)

Also, try to be located away from food vendors due to the sawdust flying around. And being that noise will be a factor as well, don't be next to anyone who can't handle it.

Thanks for all the advice, I do t plan on running the saw a whole lot, the main point of the demo is to show what's pis stand hopefully get some milling work from it, my local Stihl dealer will also be there with me, along with with my wife and some of the furniture and homewares I make

Back