Vermeer 352, cutting wheel problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got 3 machines, all down right now and I'm just looking to fix them so I can recover something and get out of the business. The one that just went down is a vermeer 352. The cutting wheel slows down and stops when cutting like a loose belt. Tightened the belts and it didn't help. Thought for sure it was the clutch so I put a new one on, no change. Ran it and discovered that the engine didn't change rpms when I put the wheel on or when I started cutting. It also didn't stall or change rmps at all. I haven't checked the turbo yet, but there is no smoke. Anyone got a clue or can point me in the right direction.

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. I've broken that pin,bolt several times. When that bolt breaks, the coupling separates from the shaft and will not engage at all. This machine runs fine and the wheel spins without effort but seems to slip like a loose belt when cutting. It actually cuts if you take tiny portions and go slow. It may not be getting any boost from the turbo, but there is no smoke like a trubo failure. I have another 352 that does pretty much the same thing but smokes like crazy when you begin to cut. I replaced that turbo but it still does it and no one seems to be able to find the problem. Just want to get out of the businessbut don't want to stick someone else with stuff that doesn't work properly.

Hey mowingman, it has a Diahatsu turbo diesel, piece of junk. I went for a walk and was thinking about it and thought I would bleed the fuel system. Seems I had this type of problem a while back and that turned out to be the cause. Gone thru 3 diesels on my other machine and I'm seeing turbos in my sleep so that's where my thoughts were going. But there is usually, I think, black smoke related to the turbos and this one has no issues with that. Just won't go into boost phase. Hoping its an air in fuel problem.

Oh my, one of those. Well, I hope you get it figured out. Then, sell the thing while it is still running. I think you may be on the right track with the fuel problem.
Might check and make sure your fuel lines are all in good shape. I have seen fuel lines get weak and collapse from suction pressure.

Thanks brother, it's just one of those things. I like grinding stumps but I can't find anyone to work on the machine so i have to do it myself. And of course, I'm an idiot and a struggle with those things. So when my third machine went down the other day, I just quit. Now I just have to get everything in shape so I can recover something without screwing the poor soul who gets them.

you say you tightened the belts,,,have you tried replacing them? if the engine isnt bogging when you engage the wheel and start grinding,something is slipping.

Hey 066blaster. I tried replacing the belts with a couple I had laying around and it it did the same thing. Then I took off the belt cover and tried grinding a stump to see what was going on and sure enough, the clutch was engaging and turning freely but the belts were slipping. I got the new belts and it corrected the problem. Thanks for the response.

Back