Husqvarna 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aikensjc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a complete Husqvarna 51 for 20 bucks, I'll probably end up replacing the piston and cylinder, and was just wondering the differences between the 51 and 55, can I use a 55 top end for more power? Thanks

After doing a SEARCH, the answer seems to be , yes. The 51 will become a 55, with no modifications needed. The 51 is a rock solid saw and so is the 55, had mine since 1998 and it has never failed me. From what I have heard, 99% of those 2 saws are interchangeable. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.;)

Just curious how much are they worth? I went to the mower shop and 20 dollars seemed pretty good price

YES YES put a HyWay kit on it from HL supply. Those kits are the best in my eyes. You will not regret it. It will be a beast ~!~!

Talk to Bruce and tell him Boudreaux sent ya ~!~!

Those saws are very easy to work on !!!

And the piston

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-06-18-16-43.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-06-18-16-43.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 38
Rebuilt my 51 with a golf or something a few years back an was not happy with it . Just put a meteor kit on this year made a lot more power , A very easy saw to work on

Ouch that piston looks bad. The saw has not had a good cleaning in a while. Rental companies don't clean their saws well and they burn up from the dirt and debris that clogs up everything. Put a 55 Hyway on that and you'll be good to go Mon Ami ~!~!

Update on the saw, I haven't done anything with it yet, trying to get rid of a 335 xpt. Any tips on restoring that faded plastic?

Don't put a new top end on the saw before you have found the reason that the original was scored, and has eliminated the cause.

Avoid aftermarket top ends if you can - the prices on many OEM Husky ones are quite reasonable in the US at this point.

Take it all the way down and do the seals as well. It's an old saw. Seems like a waste of time just to do the top end only. Heck, you're already in there. Those 51's will run forever if you do the basic cleaning/maintenance.

Use mastermind method on the oem jug. As far as plastic restore use floods penitrol from home depot in paint section. It will make all rubber and plastic look new.

If you intend to keep the saw, I would replace all the "rubber" parts => fuel/oil line, carb membrane, antivib, Impulse line, seals, etc., further I would replace the bearings as well when replacing the topend. With that your saw should be good to go another dekade.

i was hoping to keep this build as cheap as possible, the bad scoring looks to have come from a small piece of carbon from the exhaust port

Clean the jug and piston pressure test it clean carb and run it. It not worth putting a ton Of money in it. Oh and new rings if they ruined.

Back