Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just some sweet 100's sitting on my counter this afternoon. now in refer... guess will cook them, am thinking to go with some soft scrambled yard eggs...
P1010001.JPG

Assemble in small cooler with ice, ( Ship to Va. ) Overnight is better! :lol:

should I put on container box... Fragile handle with care! edible tomatoes inside. please do not eat... on all sides???? lol...

I know a guy, did that to some lady he had met, he was in bbq business... boxed went UPS and arrived... empty!!! lol

I've just had my first experience with tomato hornworms. This was a volunteer tomato plant that came up out of some compost I'd applied to my okra patch. So it's no loss exactly. It was amazing how fast this giant caterpillar ate up the entire plant, stripped all the leaves off and just left the stems. There were no other tomatoes nearby so I let the caterpillar do it's thing. This one was over three inches long, the photo doesn't quite do it justice because there's nothing nearby to scale it. I've encountered one of the mature moths a few times at night in my tomato plants, and they really startled me. It's like there's a hummingbird buzzing around - and that just doesn't happen - birds aren't active at night. These things are huge.

tomato hornworm edited.JPG
tomato plant edited.JPG

I've just had my first experience with tomato hornworms. This was a volunteer tomato plant that came up out of some compost I'd applied to my okra patch. So it's no loss exactly. It was amazing how fast this giant caterpillar ate up the entire plant, stripped all the leaves off and just left the stems. There were no other tomatoes nearby so I let the caterpillar do it's thing. This one was over three inches long, the photo doesn't quite do it justice because there's nothing nearby to scale it. I've encountered one of the mature moths a few times at night in my tomato plants, and they really startled me. It's like there's a hummingbird buzzing around - and that just doesn't happen - birds aren't active at night. These things are huge.

View attachment 521362 View attachment 521363
we look for rhem and kill them by hand in our hoophouse, we just look for their crap on the weed barrier ,,,look up and you will find them. yeah the moths are kinda cool.

'maters are still producing. seeing some disease in the plants since some rain last week. had some cracking in some of the fruit that i think was caused by the rain. having some stinkbug damage too.
20160912_125031_resized_1.jpg

'maters are still producing. seeing some disease in the plants since some rain last week. had some cracking in some of the fruit that i think was caused by the rain. having some stinkbug damage too.
View attachment 525239

You must have a secret to keeping the tomatoes going. Mine have been dead for weeks!!!

( love the white corn ) And what rain? we have no rain here thanks!

You must have a secret to keeping the tomatoes going. Mine have been dead for weeks!!!

( love the white corn ) And what rain? we have no rain here thanks!

My tomatoes too.

I'm growing all heirloom but an going to try a few modern disease resistant hybrids next year. In Delaware where I use to live I'd grow tomatoes up until frost killed them. Not so here in Georgia.

My tomatoes too.

I'm growing all heirloom but an going to try a few modern disease resistant hybrids next year. In Delaware where I use to live I'd grow tomatoes up until frost killed them. Not so here in Georgia.

I also was trying to grow some heirloom Brandywines, in which they grew to about 7' tall and had only a very few tomatos on them. After we pulled about 8 or 10 of each plant they turned brown and died! I will go back to the early girls, and big boys next year. three of the plants are here.

Attachments

• 2013-01-27 001 007.JPG
    2013-01-27 001 007.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 2013-01-27 001 006.JPG
    2013-01-27 001 006.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Back