Farmertech MS660 Milling.....Durability test???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I defiantly agree with the Walbro. The AM card just didn't work for me at all. Mine mostly needed the intake work and just a little smoothing on the exhaust side and transfer ports.

I have been wondering if you could go with a 2 piece head to lower the squish. Cut the top of the Huztl head off and make a new "cap" and run long bolts or studs. And then add a thick base gasket (or 2 gaskets even) to get rid of the free port. Just something I had been thinking about. Might no even be worth the work.

I would love to try it. I'm a machinist and have access to a full 5 axis cnc shop. With a boss the promotes projects that build on learning to be a better machinist. But I have a house addition that is more important right now. (sucks being an adult some times lol) I would love to get another 660 project saw to try it on. And have a head to head comparison.

Be tough to mill that head off! Be a pile of chips instead of a usable head! (Or just kill two....and make the one working one) ..but using a cut off tool & a lathe might be an acceptable, a 5-axis mill & ball endmill might be fun to shape a combustion chamber...depending on what you have for a modeling and programming package. Having a 5 axis machine implied more than just indexing and simple prismatic geometry! Certainly could mill the gasket surface & ream hold for the cylinder bolts once the head is "separated". Or simply machine off the top of the cylinder and mill one out of billet like the hot saw guys do...mill in cooling fins.

We have Edgecombe and solid works. The full 5 axis milling is possible. But I would have to do some reading on Edgecam to figure that out. But my boss would help if I asked.

I was thinking sawing the top of the head off in the mill. With a slitting saw. Or taking one of our carbide mills and mill the hole top off. Then mill a real nice gasket surface. Maybe even lap it for a good seal.

I was thinking a hot style head. With cooling fins. And you could a hemi style combustion chamber with a ball end mill in a 3 axis mill. (I can program that)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dassault ate Solid Works and my old Company Spatial Tech back in the 1990's to basically corner the Solid Modeling marketplace... I was a product manager & programs manager to help companies develop CNC machining products to deal with those modelers. :) So who do you use for the Machining side? Edgecam? Their Solid Machining product looks a lot like the one I helped develop. :) Concept of using solids to define Part Stock & Fixtures (things to avoid) Sometimes using "Boolean" operations to define material to remove...My product would also deal with the "faces" as surfaces as at times they were if the base modeler could handle them. Since earlier in my career I had a LOT of time dealing with 4-axis machines somehow that crept into the product...each face would have a "coordinate system" that would define the work planes & tool axis relative to the models Coordinate system...:) If your a Hammer everything looks like a nail!! SO every time I see a solids based machining package AND I see certain characteristics relative to faces, coordinate systems, and how the CLdata is created relative to them...I smile when they look "familiar". Some complex math was required to reliably drive a tool and output the xyzijkm CLdata in a form most post processors could handle. 2D and simple Ball mills were pretty easy.....as long as you could deal with either a fixed tool axis (3d) or the tool perpendicular to the surfaces. Simple surfaces & ball mills is what most lower end packages can deal with. Under cut conditions required a silhouette algorithm...much more complex. :) FORTUNATELY nothing in the concept of both designing and machining a cylinder head with a spherical combustion chamber is really complex....because the machining would ultimately be a series of Lines & Arc's and end up as G01's and G02&3's

lol walt, that's a normal length video. your video's have you all messed up on what's short and what isn't. cool to see the farmer kit getting some heavy use. i got one 372BB on my truck saw. ported and it runs good. i have it tuned to 15k with about 120+ tanks on it. so far so good. the plating still scares me though :) i'm even running a farmertec AM coil with the farmertec spark plug/decomp plug, and muffler.. was to chicken to use the actual decomp since is takes hardly an pressure to push it in.

Dassault ate Solid Works and my old Company Spatial Tech back in the 1990's to basically corner the Solid Modeling marketplace... I was a product manager & programs manager to help companies develop CNC machining products to deal with those modelers. :) So who do you use for the Machining side? Edgecam? Their Solid Machining product looks a lot like the one I helped develop. :) Concept of using solids to define Part Stock & Fixtures (things to avoid) Sometimes using "Boolean" operations to define material to remove...My product would also deal with the "faces" as surfaces as at times they were if the base modeler could handle them. Since earlier in my career I had a LOT of time dealing with 4-axis machines somehow that crept into the product...each face would have a "coordinate system" that would define the work planes & tool axis relative to the models Coordinate system...:) If your a Hammer everything looks like a nail!! SO every time I see a solids based machining package AND I see certain characteristics relative to faces, coordinate systems, and how the CLdata is created relative to them...I smile when they look "familiar". Some complex math was required to reliably drive a tool and output the xyzijkm CLdata in a form most post processors could handle. 2D and simple Ball mills were pretty easy.....as long as you could deal with either a fixed tool axis (3d) or the tool perpendicular to the surfaces. Simple surfaces & ball mills is what most lower end packages can deal with. Under cut conditions required a silhouette algorithm...much more complex. :) FORTUNATELY nothing in the concept of both designing and machining a cylinder head with a spherical combustion chamber is really complex....because the machining would ultimately be a series of Lines & Arc's and end up as G01's and G02&3's
We use Edgecam. My boss is relay good with Edgecam. If I remember right he has 15+ years of using it. We program off solid models that are imported in from Solid Works. The guys that do the 5 axis or 3+2 milling also use the solids for fixtures to help with tool path and collision detection in the simulator before the program is tape proofed in the machine. I haven't done much of this yet. But I hope to start doing more. I would probably still fall under the beginner category for programing. I know just enough to be dangerous. lol We still use the cpl per surface machining. With the machines (Haas) we run and parts we run it works out good for use. But we have some new machines that track the cpl so you can program to one cpl easier then the Haas machines. Or at least that's the way I under stand it.

Did a quick piston and cylinder check. While I have the muffler off for the rest of my muffler mod. This is at 3 hours of use.
80f71512d794b1440217d87631b586e2.jpg
ef4a997c7d7653489adb9716ec2733a7.jpg
53a31d0e408ee441c100af1be5fd4e8d.jpg

This is the latest stage to my muffler mod. The turn down will be for milling. To help get the exhaust and heat away from me when milling. I'm hoping it blows some saw dust away to. The turn down will stay removable. I'm going to try and run a clamp on it. I know the brazing job is not very good. I started to get the hang of it back towards then end. I'm planning on cleaning up at a later date.
cb8d66072a6dfaaa680365254f30aa62.jpg
d7aa97c2afdba3432e32c8e29c67afa6.jpg

Quick update. I was having problems with the saw randomly shutting off. I got looking at it and the plug wire kept falling off. So I began to investigate. The metal ring that holds the wire on the plug had slid down the boot so only out side of the ring was touching the plug. I managed to get the ring back in place. The saw seams to run even better now. Lol

I haven't milled with it this winter. But I cut some firewood a month or so ago and its still running great. I have to fix my turn down on the muffler it fell off. I need to work on my brazing skills again. But I will be back milling this spring with it. I'm building a Procut saw mill this summer and I will be running this saw in it. I'm hoping to do enough milling with it to buy a ms880 and this will turn into my backup milling saw.

I'm thinking of building a kit saw to strap to my mill when I build and see how long it goes. But I'm torn do I stay 54mm or go big bore.

Testing me. Lol. You better do a YouTube video on it for me. Still very new to the chainsaw porting game.

Latest posts

Back