Hack: Removing a chainsaw stuck in a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is an enigma. The more you learn from experience the less likely you will later be injured. The more you experience the more likely that you will be injured. Jolly, many others and I can give personal examples.

If Jolly made me the offer he made you, I would be all over it - even though from what I have seen in your two videos my skill set is much more advanced than yours, assuming of course that the videos are not spoofs - if they are, then job well done.

Ron

A very good friend of mine almost got killed by a falling limb a few weeks ago.......highly experienced, and wearing a hard hat.

Felling timber is a damned dangerous job.

shoulda just fence posted that POS til you could push it out of there, it's a sapling lol the video was 10 min, i'm curious how long this project actually took. i've always been a believer in a chainsaw license just like a firearms license. not saying you couldn't ever cut wood. you would just benefit from some basic training before you attempted it. it would benefit 90% of the population. most people who say they know what they are doing are scary as heck cause they actually don't. to be honest, it's not easy to get proper training. you gotta know when your learning what to do cause 95% of the time your learning what not to do when watching other hacks cut wood.

i've always been a believer in a chainsaw license just like a firearms license. not saying you couldn't ever cut wood. you would just benefit from some basic training before you attempted it. it would benefit 90% of the population. most people who say they know what they are doing are scary as heck cause they actually don't. to be honest, it's not easy to get proper training. you gotta know when your learning what to do cause 95% of the time your learning what not to do when watching other hacks cut wood.

I'm with you. Saws are super dangerous. Trees also are very dangerous. Put them together, and LOOK OUT!!! I do wish it was easier to get training. I found one group that does it around here (not a big logging area) but it was a 4 hour drive to take their class. Best $100 I ever spent. They offer maybe 5 different classes, but they're rarely open to the public. They'll come do classes at your location, but it's not cheap and it's too difficult to find a dozen people who want to take the class, which would make the price reasonable.

I wish saw dealers would at least strongly recommend buying safety gear and taking some basic training. I know it wouldn't be good for business, but yikes, videos like this really demonstrate the need for more available training.

I'm with you. Saws are super dangerous. Trees also are very dangerous. Put them together, and LOOK OUT!!! I do wish it was easier to get training. I found one group that does it around here (not a big logging area) but it was a 4 hour drive to take their class. Best $100 I ever spent. They offer maybe 5 different classes, but they're rarely open to the public. They'll come do classes at your location, but it's not cheap and it's too difficult to find a dozen people who want to take the class, which would make the price reasonable.

I wish saw dealers would at least strongly recommend buying safety gear and taking some basic training. I know it wouldn't be good for business, but yikes, videos like this really demonstrate the need for more available training.
You forgot power lines :eek:

All I'm saying is you gotta know when something is beyond your skill level. I was workin with a guy who had some saw experience and wanted more, so he took a 2 day falling and bucking course through arbor Canada. a week later I was tasked with removing 6 white pines to make way for a playground. This guy asks if he can fall one of them (about 50' tall 20-25" dbh) I asked if he felt he could do it safely he says he can he wants to put his new skills to work. He then proceeds to cut through the hinge and drop the tree on himself and managed to escape with a broken knee and ankle. He s no longer on my crew or allowed to run a saw because he is unable to to judge his skill level. The guy is lucky to be alive. Anyway if you are close and can teach Fritz some good techniques maybe he picks up on them and maybe he doesn't I ll let you judge.
Mad respect to Fritz for posting that video though

if that was one of those military grade aluminum body ford trucks you could have just used the truck to push it over

joking aside.... i've only been using saws for a few years now helping others with their firewood piles for their owb's, and my firewood i sell at my store and when i started i came on this site a lot asking about what saw to buy, and watching video's and reading threads on how to fell trees in different situations. If i had someone that lived within an hour of me that everyone said knew what they were doing i'd take a day to go cut with them and take whatever information i could from it.

I very well might. There are drawbacks to learning how to do things on your own! But, 16 years without an injury...
How is that possible??? A one point it looked like the saw almost came back into your leg. Sawing back and forth like that is the BIGGEST rookie mistake anyone can make. ANY saw is as good as its chain or blade and if you are doing that because you dull the blade....then sharpen it and learn to handle a saw properly. I only say this because your enhancing the saws kickback by doing that and for the 10-15 it takes to sharpen a chain or just change it out, will save you the agony of crawling to your truck (if your injury allows you to).
Take the offer from Jolly its a great oportunity to learn from a pro to show you proper techniques on felling and operating in general. I respect you for posting that, you dont know how many people you actually might of helped by that.

How many are confident enough in ax handling to chop their saw out of a stuck situation ?

Grew up poor with no CS, just old crosscut and DB ax.
Got first CS in 1971, promptly got it stuck bucking a downed 20" D fir, but learned well, have not stuck one since. Had mostly chopped downed trees.

The previous 20+ years using an ax was confident enough to chop the saw free without damaging the saw or the ax <G>

When I was young and first saw plastic wedges for sale, wondered who was dumb enough to buy plastic wedges, -- only those folks who hit their wedges with their ax or drove their wedges into a crosscut saw?

Back