New Chain, file not fitting easily for sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanThorCro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a new Stihl 26 RM3 chain for my MS-270. It's one of the green linked safety chains.

My first sharpening on the new chain with a 3\16" file that was mounted on a Stihl file guide and the file was not fitting down into the tooth for sharpening. The file was contacting both the tooth and the depth gauge. I ended up removing the file from the guide and then sharpening the chain. It felt like it'd take another sharpening or 2 to correct this. It ended up being my least sharp chain yet. I'm hoping it will widen enough for me to use it with my Granberg Bar-Mount sharpener.

Is this normal with a new chain? This is chain #3 for me and I don't remember having this issue before. Would you guys recommend filing the back of the depth gauge with the file held vertically and at 30 degrees?

New chain should be a breeze to touch up. Have you checked the box the chain came in to make sure you are using the right file? It sounds to me like it is too big but the box will say for sure.

Use a 5/32 file, make sure you don't file to deep or to high on the cutter. Once you get the feel for the 5/32 file, you'll use nothing else.

Latest posts

Back