What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding!

Thanks!!!

Those were the second set of steaks I've done on this. First ones were the same principle but the 500 degree sear was in a cast iron skillet. I like the way I just did it better.

The grill has been a lot of fun. I've come to realize that so-so cooks taste really good and when you nail it.........oh man.

I haven't done anything involved like brisket or pork butt yet, just simple stuff.

My girlfriend got me this for an early birthday present last month.

F1061AA2-8EFC-46B0-AD12-EE495EEDF578_zpstufbdiy7.jpg

I absolutely love it and use it about 4 days a week minimum. Every one in her family except 1 brother has the same model.

Yesterday's lunch I did pizza on a stone.

01D444F0-3850-4BD9-8A0B-80911191580B_zpskbxbbpcu.jpg

For my work lunches Monday and Tuesday, I fired up 2 New York strips.

FBA5E4B7-907F-4690-81C9-718A3804BA94_zpsjzd9gri7.jpg

I smoked them for an hour at 160. Pulled them off and cranked the grill up to 500. Once at 500 for a while I had them on for 4 min per side.

This is after letting them rest for about 15 minutes. Came out very good. I surprised myself.

CDE7C5F9-9D7F-486A-9662-72276C36CF0B_zps3kwvplie.jpg

.......Does she have a sister that's single ? :D

Thanks!!!

Those were the second set of steaks I've done on this. First ones were the same principle but the 500 degree sear was in a cast iron skillet. I like the way I just did it better.

The grill has been a lot of fun. I've come to realize that so-so cooks taste really good and when you nail it.........oh man.

I haven't done anything involved like brisket or pork butt yet, just simple stuff.
The fun is just starting. Have a good time experimenting.
Prime Rib, lightly smoked then finished on the grill or in the oven is superb.

Hocks on the WSM from some pigs we raised this year. Brined for three days, then smoked with cherry to 150°. These will be cooled, vac sealed and frozen for beans and soup this winter. We used a different butcher and they cut these HUGE! They're like miniature hams. There was enough meat I cut off a taster. Think intense salty ham with a touch of the piquant flavor of corned beef.

Attachments

• IMAG0399.jpg
    IMAG0399.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Hocks on the WSM from some pigs we raised this year. Brined for three days, then smoked with cherry to 150°. These will be cooled, vac sealed and frozen for beans and soup this winter. We used a different butcher and they cut these HUGE! They're like miniature hams. There was enough meat I cut off a taster. Think intense salty ham with a touch of the piquant flavor of corned beef.
Those should make a righteous pot of beans.

I made pork tenderloin today using a recipe courtesy of ratsass on ar15.com.

This is the recipe.

Got this recipe years ago and have been using it for years. Best pork tenderloin I've ever had and everybody that tries it loves it. Thought it was time to share:

As a public service to my trusted allies I'm sharing this recipe. It is badass. Never fails. Always impresses. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to source the two main marinade ingredients (in TN) but worth the trouble. Emphasis added below because I've had friends try to shortcut the ingredients and it sucks when you do.

Ingredients:

1 package containing 2 pork TENDERloins. NO, not LOINS

1 entire head of Elephant Garlic
NO, NOT REGULAR GARLIC

8-12 ounces of DARK soy sauce. NO, NOT REGULAR SOY SAUCE

1 entire stick of butter. Whatever kind of butter. Butter is butter.

Look around and find the right ingredients. Don't be trying to substitute the wrong ingredients for my awesome, badass recipe.

Rough chop/slice the entire freakin head of elephant garlic. Not 1 clove-the entire package. Doesn't have to be chopped too fine. That's a US quarter for comparison.

Sauté (sweat) the garlic in the melted stick of butter. Add the dark soy and stir well. Don't go getting all freaky and try to use regular soy sauce. Your dog or pet goat won't be able to choke this stuff down if you screw up and buy regular soy sauce or try to use regular garlic. Let marinade cool.

Lay the two tenderloins out, pierce them all over with a fork and rub with some black pepper. It ain't rocket science just use whatever amount you're comfortable with.

Pour the mixed up marinade on top in a baking dish, plastic container or my personal favorite a 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bag. Turn to cover the meat.

Stick in the fridge for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Not 2. Not 5. I like to rotate or turn the tenderloins every half hour to hour. The fridge is that big 6 foot tall box in your wife's room that you keep your beer in. It's usually white or silver in color. Ask her if in doubt. Also if she's one of those really good wives that not only makes the sandwiches but fetches your beers don't admit you know of said fridge's existence. Marinate the meat in a cooler in the backyard with some ice.

After 2-1/2 to 3 hours take your meat out (hahahaha) and let it get closer to room temp. I let it sit out for half an hour which is coincidentally about how long it takes charcoal to burn down after lighting and get right for cooking.
Can't help you if you have gas (hahahaha again). Get rid of that gas grille.

Toss on the grill over some grey coals or low to medium heat if you still haven't tossed out that pathetic gas grille. I toss a hickory chunk on the fire at this point. The marinade is a mighty bold flavor so the bold hickory smoke makes it even better. Pecan or cherry don't cut it.

Close the lid with the vents open and slow grill the suckers until they are MEDIUM. Turn them every 4 or 5 minutes. That would be 145 degrees for anybody sophisticated enough to own an instant read thermometer. If you don't have one, quit being a cheap, amateurish schmuck and order one. Your friends and loved ones will think you've become a grilling God.

Warning: it will smell like a barnyard the first five or ten minutes it's cooking due to all that butter burning.

Halfway there. Note the lack of flames and charred flesh:

You want them to have a little pink in the middle. 145 is minimum cooked temp for pork and the max you want to cook this dish. I cook to 138 and let them sit covered ten minutes. They rise to 143 to 145.

If you've ignored my sage thermometer advice and insist on being a cheap and amateurish then eyeball them and try to determine that they're done by picking them up from one end with tongs. When they just start to stiffen up and don't bend easily they're getting right. Ask your wife if in doubt whether the meat's stiff enough. Bet you get a wisecrack.

After 20 minutes at 325-350 degrees according to the 49 cent thermometer on the grill:

You know deep down that grill thermometer is a no-good, lying piece of crap, but it makes you feel better THINKING it's 325 degrees inside the grill. The reality is it's roughly somewhere between 215 and 499 degrees in there, give or take a few.

Let them sit 10-15 minutes covered with foil after they hit 135-140 (the temp will climb while they're resting) then slice into medallions about 1/2" thick. They can sit for 30 minutes and that just makes them juicier and better. Hide the knives because all you need to cut the medallions up and eat them is a fork.

Done:

Congratulations. Everybody you cook this for will bow down and praise you. Also you will definitely need some French bread to sop up the ungodly juices on the platter after you have sliced this up. In fact you can probably just toss out the meat and sop up the juice and call that dinner.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Turned out absolutely incredible.

Grill fired up.

In the marinade process

On the grill

Done

Did Chicken breasts for the rest of the weeks work lunches this afternoon.

Grill fired up, breasts harpooned, and been on for a while.

FBD0BC4F-6341-4A9A-99CF-F15D36455161_zpsb5hw500p.jpg

16186EEA-80FF-43F5-BE7C-8CF33146BBFA_zpsvlewaccu.jpg

Done at 165 internal temp and sat for 1/2 hour.

C496C1B3-2825-476A-A8AF-123ACFC701B7_zpswqpjtcvy.jpg

Scrump-dilly.

I love this grill.

I'll have to post about my first pulled pork that I did last Sunday.

This is the recipe.

Got this recipe years ago and have been using it for years. Best pork tenderloin I've ever had and everybody that tries it loves it. Thought it was time to share:

As a public service to my trusted allies I'm sharing this recipe. It is badass. Never fails. Always impresses. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to source the two main marinade ingredients (in TN) but worth the trouble. Emphasis added below because I've had friends try to shortcut the ingredients and it sucks when you do.

Ingredients:

NO, NOT REGULAR GARLIC

Look around and find the right ingredients. Don't be trying to substitute the wrong ingredients for my awesome, badass recipe.

Rough chop/slice the entire freakin head of elephant garlic. Not 1 clove-the entire package. Doesn't have to be chopped too fine. That's a US quarter for comparison.

Sauté (sweat) the garlic in the melted stick of butter. Add the dark soy and stir well. Don't go getting all freaky and try to use regular soy sauce. Your dog or pet goat won't be able to choke this stuff down if you screw up and buy regular soy sauce or try to use regular garlic. Let marinade cool.

Lay the two tenderloins out, pierce them all over with a fork and rub with some black pepper. It ain't rocket science just use whatever amount you're comfortable with.

Pour the mixed up marinade on top in a baking dish, plastic container or my personal favorite a 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bag. Turn to cover the meat.

Stick in the fridge for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Not 2. Not 5. I like to rotate or turn the tenderloins every half hour to hour. The fridge is that big 6 foot tall box in your wife's room that you keep your beer in. It's usually white or silver in color. Ask her if in doubt. Also if she's one of those really good wives that not only makes the sandwiches but fetches your beers don't admit you know of said fridge's existence. Marinate the meat in a cooler in the backyard with some ice.

After 2-1/2 to 3 hours take your meat out (hahahaha) and let it get closer to room temp. I let it sit out for half an hour which is coincidentally about how long it takes charcoal to burn down after lighting and get right for cooking.

Toss on the grill over some grey coals or low to medium heat if you still haven't tossed out that pathetic gas grille. I toss a hickory chunk on the fire at this point. The marinade is a mighty bold flavor so the bold hickory smoke makes it even better. Pecan or cherry don't cut it.

Close the lid with the vents open and slow grill the suckers until they are MEDIUM. Turn them every 4 or 5 minutes. That would be 145 degrees for anybody sophisticated enough to own an instant read thermometer. If you don't have one, quit being a cheap, amateurish schmuck and order one. Your friends and loved ones will think you've become a grilling God.

Warning: it will smell like a barnyard the first five or ten minutes it's cooking due to all that butter burning.

You want them to have a little pink in the middle. 145 is minimum cooked temp for pork and the max you want to cook this dish. I cook to 138 and let them sit covered ten minutes. They rise to 143 to 145.

If you've ignored my sage thermometer advice and insist on being a cheap and amateurish then eyeball them and try to determine that they're done by picking them up from one end with tongs. When they just start to stiffen up and don't bend easily they're getting right. Ask your wife if in doubt whether the meat's stiff enough. Bet you get a wisecrack.

After 20 minutes at 325-350 degrees according to the 49 cent thermometer on the grill:

You know deep down that grill thermometer is a no-good, lying piece of crap, but it makes you feel better THINKING it's 325 degrees inside the grill. The reality is it's roughly somewhere between 215 and 499 degrees in there, give or take a few.

Let them sit 10-15 minutes covered with foil after they hit 135-140 (the temp will climb while they're resting) then slice into medallions about 1/2" thick. They can sit for 30 minutes and that just makes them juicier and better. Hide the knives because all you need to cut the medallions up and eat them is a fork.

Done:

Congratulations. Everybody you cook this for will bow down and praise you. Also you will definitely need some French bread to sop up the ungodly juices on the platter after you have sliced this up. In fact you can probably just toss out the meat and sop up the juice and call that dinner.

Grill fired up.

In the marinade process

On the grill

Done

Looks like a pellet grill. I've been researching them. May I ask how you like it, what model, any down sides etc?

Looks like a pellet grill. I've been researching them. May I ask how you like it, what model, any down sides etc?

I love it!!!!

It's a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone Wifi model.

I had been looking at them but my grill fund took the form of a jeep this spring. Lol

My girlfriend has the same one, as does her dad , and one brother. I'm the only one with the wifi.

When she got it for me the wifi model was the only Daniel Boone one they had.

I wasn't sure about the wifi at first but I really really like it. My girlfriend really likes it too so I am going to get her the upgraded wifi board for Christmas.

My pulled pork came out a little squirrelly, to me anyways, that I did.

It was a 4.7lb butt and I was putting it in the cooler wrapped in a towel in less than 6 hrs.

My girlfriend also did one and hers took 10. I was worried the grills temp and actual temp were off.

I did some tests yesterday with surface thermometers and the temp in center is dead on above 150 degrees with only a 10-15 degree difference on the outer edges.

I attribute that to playing with the firebox so I am ok with it as I was worried the grill was actually 100 degrees hotter or so that what it indicated.

A good place for a lot of reading is pelletheads.com.

I spend a lot of time there.

ETA - The downsides are small for me.

1. There is nothing really quick about it.

2. There are startup and shutdown procedures.

Aaaaaand that's about it.

I love the experimenting with food. You really can't screw anything up on it. It might be ok and taste good but when you nail it....oh man.

I buy the pellets cheap and stack them deep. I am fortunate that I am surrounded by places that sell good food pellets at good/cheap prices.

Get some good thermometers in addition to the one that comes with it. I have a maverick and. An instant one.

This is the recipe.

Ingredients:

NO, NOT REGULAR GARLIC

Done:

Grill fired up.

In the marinade process

On the grill

Done

Fun, ain't it.

Fun, ain't it.

Very!!!!

I wing most of my cooking. I always have. It's just me and I'll eat stuff off the floor.

For my birthday the neighbors got me a chicken leg and wing grill stand. Absolutely awesome.

CD0E7AF9-C7B3-4882-81B7-DC05A88FD835_zps2a3fquo5.jpg

It's called a King Kooker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ6EU36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always had a hard time with chicken legs on the grill. I would scorch the outside while the inside was still bleeding.

The neighbor told me how he does it.

He boils the chicken legs first. Once they float they are cooked. Marinade them then throw them on the grill at 300-350 for a while. Absolutely stupendous.

The man has serious cooking/grill skills. I know some will laugh at the boiling first part but it works well for me and I don't blame you for laughing.

One weekend the girlfriend was here I was making chicken. I forgot to pick up any marinades. I had half a bottle of Teriyaki marinade and half a bottle of Frank's Wing sauce. Screw it. Poured it all together and marinaded the chicken in it.

Grilled it and it came out awesome!!!! Girlfriend loves it and calls it Teriyuffalo.

Here is a batch I made on the pellet grill.

Just on.

E84B3939-9271-4CE9-8820-4113AB780F79_zpsr6t5ukky.jpg

Almost done.

B4D70870-5CA0-4150-BBB2-7867F6D3BC3D_zpsxypqsmf0.jpg

Plated. Very very good. The neighbor loved it........he is my most feared critic since he is so good at cooking.
DFE08671-6E66-447E-8BCA-F42118F9B869_zpsenusovp6.jpg

Very!!!!

I wing most of my cooking. I always have. It's just me and I'll eat stuff off the floor.

For my birthday the neighbors got me a chicken leg and wing grill stand. Absolutely awesome.

CD0E7AF9-C7B3-4882-81B7-DC05A88FD835_zps2a3fquo5.jpg

It's called a King Kooker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ6EU36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I always had a hard time with chicken legs on the grill. I would scorch the outside while the inside was still bleeding.

The neighbor told me how he does it.

He boils the chicken legs first. Once they float they are cooked. Marinade them then throw them on the grill at 300-350 for a while. Absolutely stupendous.

The man has serious cooking/grill skills. I know some will laugh at the boiling first part but it works well for me and I don't blame you for laughing.

One weekend the girlfriend was here I was making chicken. I forgot to pick up any marinades. I had half a bottle of Teriyaki marinade and half a bottle of Frank's Wing sauce. Screw it. Poured it all together and marinaded the chicken in it.

Grilled it and it came out awesome!!!! Girlfriend loves it and calls it Teriyuffalo.

Here is a batch I made on the pellet grill.

Just on.

E84B3939-9271-4CE9-8820-4113AB780F79_zpsr6t5ukky.jpg

Almost done.

B4D70870-5CA0-4150-BBB2-7867F6D3BC3D_zpsxypqsmf0.jpg

Plated. Very very good. The neighbor loved it........he is my most feared critic since he is so good at cooking.
DFE08671-6E66-447E-8BCA-F42118F9B869_zpsenusovp6.jpg
Sounds like you have the perfect neighbor. Take advantage of his expertise, it'll flatten out the learning curve quite a bit.

He's a great guy. Aside from being my best friend he's an overall awesome talented guy.

I let him try the pulled pork. He said it was very good. He makes pulled pork all the time.

The squirellyness of it came down to was that the cut was very lean. I had a Crossfit pig.

I saw a couple minor stalls during the cook but nothing major. When I dig out the leftovers to re-heat there is no congealment or solidified fat.

He's going to give me a butt from one of their pigs from last year. They had named him Chubs. I feel this one will be a little better.:D

Lmao.

I get all panicky cooking for the masses.

I've only been cooking for the girlfriend for a year.

She's a great cook too

Hickory smoked prime rib.
Did this 14# er two weeks ago for some friends.
IMG_20160702_101542373.jpg

Simple salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder for the rub.

Onto the GMG set at 220*. Pulled it when the IT hit 135*. covered with foil for a 40 min rest. IT climbed to 140*.
IMG_20160702_175249652.jpg

Slice up. Ohhh soooo good.
IMG_20160702_182919945.jpg

Hickory smoked prime rib.
Did this 14# er two weeks ago for some friends.
View attachment 530088
Simple salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder for the rub.

Onto the GMG set at 220*. Pulled it when the IT hit 135*. covered with foil for a 40 min rest. IT climbed to 140*.
View attachment 530091

Slice up. Ohhh soooo good.
View attachment 530090
Outstanding!

I normally give mine about an hour of smoke then finish on the grill or in the oven at a higher temp, to set a crust.
Smoked Rib Roast is damn good.
Yours looks perfect.

Back