Is this red oak or hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg I rarely cut blow downs or really anything other than dead ash these days. But I came across this blow down in my woods and other than the outside inch it's solid hard wood. Thought it was red oak but maybe it's a type of hickory? The heart wood and decomposing bark have me confused. Nice day in the woods either way. Most here in Ohio are excited deer bow season opened today. But the kids and I were excited for the firewood season opener!
image.jpeg

Looks like oak to me also. Red Oak has a very distinctive smell when cut so that would be a good indicator also.

Thanks for the replies. It did smell like oak but not like the pin oak which is mostly the only red oak I've cut which is more pungent(?). But the bark and that last pics heartwood has me wondering hickory. This grain makes me think oak but I don't know!
image.jpeg
That's not really a good pic actually. I'll see how it splits. I've only cut shagbark in the hickory family(which this clearly isn't) but don't know the others well. Either way it should burn nice for an easy hit with kids along!

Thanks for the replies. It did smell like oak but not like the pin oak which is mostly the only red oak I've cut which is more pungent(?). But the bark and that last pics heartwood has me wondering hickory. This grain makes me think oak but I don't know!
View attachment 527507
That's not really a good pic actually. I'll see how it splits. I've only cut shagbark in the hickory family(which this clearly isn't) but don't know the others well. Either way it should burn nice for an easy hit with kids along!
leaf pictures ???

What he said:rolleyes:. +the white on top side & purple onthe bottom sideof the fungus growing on the bark. I call that RTB wood. Ready To Burn.
I cut down, many moons ago, a white oak. that used to be approx. 30 inch base. hard to tell, as three inches of the outside of the tree had rotted off.... now,,i cut that tree down for wood, and when a did,,water ran out of the grain!! I was told, it had been girdled by grandpa 45 years ago!!! I sawed the rest of the tree into chunks.. only the very top pieces,, were CLOSE to dry,, but weren't!!! oak drys SLOWLY after its split and stacked where breezes get to it.....period...........that tree would rot before it dried......

I cut down, many moons ago, a white oak. that used to be approx. 30 inch base. hard to tell, as three inches of the outside of the tree had rotted off.... now,,i cut that tree down for wood, and when a did,,water ran out of the grain!! I was told, it had been girdled by grandpa 45 years ago!!! I sawed the rest of the tree into chunks.. only the very top pieces,, were CLOSE to dry,, but weren't!!! oak drys SLOWLY after its split and stacked where breezes get to it.....period...........that tree would rot before it dried......
Yes sir. They do dry out much faster than a live tree when split.

Latest posts

Back