Did a school marm today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok i can't be the only one who knows what a school marm is? I seen it in tests 20 years ago. I was talking to a group of younger climbers and was describing a tree i did and said it was a big school marm, no one knew what i was talking about. Im i just that old, who knows what a school marm is?

That is so funny. I still use the term now and again. Most times when I am describing it I do say fork though.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Cause when I say crook they think I am talking about a criminal or politician

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I was told back in the old days in the lumber camps the only women around was the school marm, and well fill in the rest. A school marm is a conifer with two tops spread apart like a V or open legs. Sexist sure but its an old term.

School Marm: A tree stem that branches into two or more trunks or tops.

I worked for Blackcomb mountain (Whistler BC) in the mid-80's. Drove a snowcat. A lot of the ski runs were named after logging terms. School Marm was one of them.
Here are some of the other logging named runs.
Jersey Cream, Stoker, Hooker, Cruiser, Catskinner, The Bite, Cougar Milk, Undercut, Skidder, Springboard, Choker, Gearjammer, Gandy Dancer.

Skied a lot of days and enjoyed my time out there..... but I had "younger" knees back then.

Back