Drying cookies in my oven

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
I have some walnut cookies that are about 19" diameter that have air dried for about 6 months or so. They're 3" thick and have some pretty substantial cracking already.

I would like to use them for end tables in my living room so considered kiln drying them in my oven. I figured a low temp with the convection fan going should be perfect. Has anyone did this before?

I've even considered just finishing them as they are but not sure what to expect if I do that. I would imagine most of the movement has already taken place.

Any thoughts?

BOA

Too hot. Kiln temos are around 100-140*. Least my oven the min temp is 300*

Could build an insulated box and use a heater, keep it at 100* for a few weeks.

So you'd be better off using a small room , fan an dehumidifier than an oven. They are generally way to hot. You want to be at around 115-150 depending on airflow. Most ovens "warm" setting is around 180-200. They will violently check if the temp is to high and you might end up with firewood.
JMO YMMV

Once they start checking any increase in temperature will just make it worse.
Instead of increasing the temperature to drive out moisture its better to stabilise the temperature and wick it out slowly.
One way is to dig a pit, put the cookies in and fill it with sawdust and cover it with soil, yes you will be at the mercy of insects.
The other way is to put them under water - yes water, or wet clay.
It takes longer but the result is less checking.

The cracks I can deal with I'm more concerned with just getting the moisture down to a workable percentage. I would love to build a little kiln but a lot of my wood is at a tree companies yard so we will probably be building a bigger one down the road.

I was hoping for a quick fix and that came to kind. I know mine can be set pretty low but haven't checked into how low. Any idea what would be the max temp I can use? I see vfw mentioned 140 as the highest temp. Don't forget they've been sitting for at least 6 months with a dehumidifier running nearby.

Well, if it's kind of like drying jerky in the oven, mine will go to 200, then you leave the door open to the first notch. Since Black Walnut produces "Juglone", it's like a natural herbicide, I don't know if I'd want it in my oven. But, I've heard on other forums that people love to smoke food with Walnut, so YMMV, Joe.

It depends on the kiln. The one we have runs at about 100*. It's a Nyle dehumidifier setup.
Has heat, dehumidication and air flow/recyling.
A computer runs it.

Latest posts

Back