Elm with girdling roots - when to cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilling24x7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a new Princeton Elm. It was planted last fall and this was its first spring / summer at my location. It's probably 20 feet tall. Today I just carefully dug down about 3 inches to get to the root flare. Lots of girdling roots.

Should I cut them now? Wait till early spring? When is best time to clean up the girdling roots.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
Ok thanks. Just to clarify. I should cut the little wire like roots all around and ALSO that big 1 inch diameter root that is coming near the top left side of the trunk. And it's early Fall here in the east coast of the US. There won't be any fall/winter disease issues from having a cut root?

John

Yep..cut anything tangential to the trunk...there is even a small one right at the edge of the excavated soil on the right that I'd cut.

The least likely time to generate disease concerns via pruning is late fall into winter... So cut them now.

Regardless of size, is it generally better to remove the girdlers instead of worrying about starting a point of beginning for decay, insects, disease, etc?

I wouldnt say regardless of size...but just about. The standard that came out a couple of years ago has a size limit (don't have the book here, but I think it might be an inch or was it an inch and a half???). I disagree with that. I think you need to look at the circumstances:
How much of the tree is girdled?
How deep into the tree is it?
How big is the tree?
Are there other girdling roots?

As a rule of thumb, if the tree is being badly girdled, we know the end result is death or failure. Cutting big roots will probably end poorly, but in most circumstances I think the tree has a better chance for a longer life than if they are left in place... I guess the concern is that if rot is introduced through my cuts and the tree fails, somebody can point the finger at me. If it failed 8 years prior folks seem unwilling to point a finger at the guy who planted it too deep...

I have a few, probably 2" - 2 1/2" that I pass frequently and wonder, "should I or not"? I have considered using a pruning spray just like when trimming oak to avoid Wilt but I don't know the healing characteristics of the root area as compared to the higher areas. The typical mower damaged roots seem to heal rather fast. The girdle roots are slightly above ground and rather deeply embedded.
Thank you.

Do the fork after entering the ground? Often they will. I'd at least cut the forks so the tree can start pushing the root out... If it is deeply embedded you also have the challenge of deciding if you can get the root out without damaging the cambium of the trunk.

I don't know what they do below the surface but you touched another question. Removing the cut root is difficult without additional damage or just leaving the embedded root in place after cutting near ground level. I'm guessing cambium damage is likely even pulling the root from the groove.

For me it is just my trees. For you guys in the business a reputation and lively-hood is on the line.
Thanks.

I've never seen or read about damage to a root being an issue. Trees kill off roots, especially the more fibrous ones, regularly if that root can't find water/nutrients. Those dead rotting roots never seem to cause other disease issues.

I think fungal root diseases are going to enter the root system if they are in the soil regardless of the integrity of the roots.

This whole thing is so sad. I wish I would have dug down to see these roots last year. I feel like I wasted a year. And I had to cut quite a bit. So many girdling roots. I hope I didn't kill this elm. I believe they are hardy trees. Let's hope.

Sadly now I've dug down so deep it's a pool of water on the root flare.

I still have some work to do. It's been raining a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_9689.JPG
    IMG_9689.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back