Daft BS sharpening mistake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Since the boss bought a BS sharpener and setter I have been teaching myself BS band sharpening with mixed success. The first couple of bands I touched up worked better than I thought they would but some time after that the bands have tended to dive in the cut. We tried more set with limited success, then I even went to the trouble of building a band roller with limited success, and not much has been happening with the BS mill since my health issues started in March.

Now that my health has improved - or at least I know what is wrong I have started going down to the tree loppers yard and the first thing he wanted me to do was sharpen a few bands. Because I hadn't done this for so long I had to get the manuals out to remind myself how to set up the sharpener. It was then I noticed one of the angles of the grinding wheel that forms the front face of the teeth was out.

The grinder is capable of automatically rotating slightly either way to produce bevel edges across the teeth fronts to suit the L-R-N set. It puts slight (opposite) angles on the L &R set teeth and a 90º face on the N tooth, but I hadn't got to that point yet and was grinding all the teeth at 90º.

When I first set up the sharpener I locked the bevel grinding angle at 90º but now I noticed the wheel was leaning slightly away from 90º. This meant all the teeth were being sharpened with a slight bevel in the same direction which is probably why the band was diving. It would be similar to filing all the left and right hand chain cutters from the same side with the same top plate filing angle. I was surprised the band was even cutting at all.

I had probably just knocked the grinder when moving it and not noticed the change in angle. It's only because I had to go back to square one that I noticed it.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Well at least you got it figured out now. Better late than never. Glad your feeling better and hope to see some milling pics from you in the near future.

Back